Is This Fair Treatment?

T

I just wondered what others would think of this. I am working on a PHD for which I was awarded a studentship as part of a larger AHRC funded project. I am working from home based at a record office away from my institution. Since starting I have met my supervisor 3 times. I submitted a very draft 1st chapter in March (8 months after registration) and told him i would follow up with a revised chapter when i had done some more reading. However I never heard back from him but now I hear the project team have been discussing my lack of progress, yet my tutor has not fed back to me at all.

J

May not be fair, but thats how it works sometimes. I've missed may personal deadline for getting something in because of someone not signing the form in time. check your uni rules, this should give you a timeline and show you where you should be. If they are talking amongst themselves perhaps you need to go in to sort things out?

S

Perhaps you should be a bit more proactive with your supervisor and ask for feedback. It is very annoying not to get feedback. But you must be responsible for your own progress - and it seems that is expected although no-one has actually spelt it out. All meetings with my supervisor are at my request and very infrequently. I realise now that he needs to be managed by students. If I were you I would ask for a meeting with your supervisor to agree a schedule of work, submissions AND feedback.

L

I agree with Joyce and Smilodon. First step in this situation is to deliver the documentation you had initially promised your supervisor. And then follow-up with emails every week or month on your thesis progress (what are you currently working on? & so on…). Since your funded you need to report your thesis progress. When your supervisor gets a chance to look at your thesis progress all your reports, documents will count and he/she will be able to support you will appropriate response to the project team. Don’t worry your supervisor will respond, get used to PhD atmosphere, GL

T

Its not the original lack of response that is perhaps the most annoyiong but more the fact that my supervisor had chosen to feedback to a team of people, many of whom have nothing to do with supervising me, instead of getting back to me directly despite me chasing him.

S

So who is telling tales? There is an arab proverb that 'the person who bad mouths you is the person who tells you about it'. It's probably not as bad as it seems - and in any case - you are going to have to put up with it so best counteract by being proactive.

L

Oh well, tori don't think about who is telling what...this will make your situation worse, just focus and complete your documentation and thesis related work. Remember to keep your supervisor updated about your progress. Ask lot of questions to your supervisor, even if you have nothing to ask, just to keep your supervisor involved in your research, ask questions with your progress reports.

E

I think having an unsupportive or even antagonistic supervisor is the worst possible way to attempt a PhD. Alas as some of the posts on here point out it is very common. It is a traumatic situation for both parties if you just don't respect one anothers views. After nearly 2 years of having to bite my tongue whilst being humiliated and ridculed in front of other fuculty members I spoke up to his superiors. You might want to consider doing the same thing.

J

i don't know what your supervisor is involved in at the uni, that is with other teaching to do, but if like mine they lecture across the board, it is a very busy time for them with marking and suchlike. I would take anytihng said by others with a pinch of salt as you can't really tell who said what, but you could send another e-mail asking for some feedback. If you know he is dong other things as well, just start with 'I know this is a very busy timne for you, but i wonder if you have had time to look at the chapter I sent you, I would really appreciate your feedback so that I know I am heading in the right direction' kind of thing, be a bit humble, costs nothing but may make him inclined to look at it if he hasn't managed to do so yet!

T

Most times when I did not agree or fully understand any of my supervisor actions, I would come right out, in as diplomatic a fashion as possible, and ask her why. Perhaps I am more fortunate that most in that my supervisor has been quite upfront with me from the start. I think it helps that I like to keep things on a fairly even keel by reporting to and fro via email and letting her in on my plans. I think if we extend accountability to our supervisors, they should return the same.

It must hurt to feel you've been unfairly treated. Why not try touching base with your supervisor? Make an appointment to see him/her, be as clear as you can about when you can accomplish what and ask for his/her opinion.