is this normal???? does it happen to you

D

my supervisor keeps forgetting our meetings... is this normal? How do you all deal with it? Should I have to put up with it?

P

No it's rubbish. At my Uni, I was given a resaerch students handbook when I started setting out guide lines to what to expect and what my 'rights' were to supervision, min ammount of hours per year etc.
How many times have they forgot?

W

It is anoying. Mine has done it a couple of times - usually double booking me with other students. I tend not to be too angry with her because I think it's in my best interests to keep good relations with her. I do find myself 'managing up' though, by which I mean I might e-mail her about something else the week before a supervision and drop in the date and time of the meeting in the e-mail to remind her just in case! even if it's just 'see you Tuesday at 1pm'. lol!

W

I don't think we should have to put up with it, and it does make your work feel less important. But personally I wouldn't want to fall out over it as my supervisor is v. supportive in other ways, and I try to remember she is human too, a busy academic and makes mistakes. If she was less supportive overal I think I would take tougher action.