Is this really PhD Life?

S

I propose we streamline the major issues of PhD life expressed on this forum by requesting all users to complete the following (delete as appropriate): -

I am feeling utterly lonely/miserable/incapable/stressed because my supervisor/colleague/family/partner/dog/cat/goldfish has moved away/died/been mean/expected too much and I want to quit/scream/hit them/find a job on a far away tropical island/transfer to an MRes.

That seems to pretty much cover everything we read here, agreed?

J

I think that people only seem to post when things are going badly/they are stressed etc, which does, unfortunately, give the impression that doing a PhD is an utterly horrible experience... I guess just take it all with a pinch of salt ;-)

M

lets face it - the number of good supervisors is pretty low, there are bound to be a lot of complaints .... besides, where else when not here is it possible to let of a bit of steam? if i complain to my family/friends they only say "why do a phd in the first place?" ... no understanding there. this forum is perfect, lots of people in the same situation!

M

Subforums for each different type of stress filled complaint would be great! Would also stop old threads being lost as much.