It is complicated

L

Hi all,
I am second year PhD student and it is really complicated :))
First, due to my work obligations, I applied for PhD on the condition that I will be a full time student during the first year and then continue as a part time student. I have finished my first year successfully and returned home while contacting with my supervisors via emails.
The issue is that I have two supervisors from two different schools as I am doing some interdisciplinary topic. My first supervisor will leave the university so I am forced to move from my current department to my second supervisor's department, and my first supervisor told me he would continue supervising me remotely and informally. My first question: Can he do that? Is that normal? Will he attend the viva and put his name on any publications?
The problem is that my PhD is almost 80% related to my original department but my second supervisor, my first now, told me that if my first supervisor, the one who is leaving, continue to be much involved, it will not be a problem.
I am scared and I panic every single day and have no one to ask.
Did anyone has experience with similar case? Should I worry?

The second issue is that I am a self funded student so I am trying to finish as soon as I can. Is it possible to finish in less that 4 years similar to full time student. Whenever I ask my supervisors, they keep telling me that you will finish when you have a thesis !
Thank you all :)
LMTD

Hello Imtd,

I start from your last question: of course you can finish in less than four years if you put your mind to it, but I think that your supervisors' answer is wise. I would be thankful that they don't put pressure on you to complete.

Yes, your former supervisor can continue to supervise you informally, and if he does what he promises it's fine. However, you should also consider that even with the best of intentions this person will work elsewhere and will have a list of priorities that come before your supervision, so I understand your concerns. What field are you working in? I was in the humanities, and when my first supervisor left and did not deliver what he promised it wasn't a disaster, as I managed well just working with my second (who was not an expert in my area).

If you think that this can potentially affect the outcome of your studies I would have an open discussion with them both. Is there anyone else in your first department who can steps in and help you?

It is also important to consider what kind of help you need from him. Are you writing up? Do you have more research to carry out? Experiments? etc.

L

Many thanks for your reply, really appricated :)
I am working in management and my other supervisor from the engineering school.
The issue is that I was not taregting the department or the university, I was targeting the first supervisor who is an expert in my field.
If he will supervising me through emails and skype, i have no problem but the word "informally" worried me as there is no commitment.
I am still gathering information through interviews
Thanks again for your care

D

You will have to find a first formal supervisor, as it is a requirement to have two supervisors to submit the thesis.

I had a similar situation with my second supervisor moving to the other end of the world around the time I started. A member of staff in the department was kind enough to be my second supervisor in paper, so that I could upgrade from MPhil to PhD. My second supervisor still has a lot of input by providing feedback for the publications, but he is not around for everyday stuff (such as discussing ideas). Moreover, I am aware that if he doesn't want to contribute, I can't put any pressure on him like I would do with the on-site supervisor (interrupt an important meeting with senior academics and start crying because he didn't read my paper).

L

Thanks a lot Dr jecky for your reply. What do you mean by "in paper" ?
Is that possible?