It's a third!!!

I

I want to do my Masters in economics, but the only problem is i came out with a third class. please, can u help out?

T

How would you like us to help? My 'kid's birthday party' magic skills are not designed to turn a third into a 2.1...

I

well i wasn't expecting a wand from anybody, just give me some schools i could apply with...

J

Don't know about economics, but do know 3 science Ph.D.s who got on a Master's with a 3rd (at Sunderland and Loughborough, not sure where the 3rd one was). Guess it depends on how competitive the courses are and your level of work experience.

T

My poor attempt at humour was because we don't really have enough information to base our suggestions on.

E.g what area of economics would you like to focus on? What were your best modules? Are you interested in a masters that will set you up for academia or a position in industry? Do you have any work experience, so your degree classification wouldn't be as important?

I

would love to focus on micro aspect of economics, it's always bin my stronger part, and masters thal'll set me up 4 a position in the industry is on the line. on job experience, i'm currently working in the Fed. min. of labour in my country (not exactly wat i would ask 4), but the disceimination is tough.

D

Entry on to an economics masters is unusual with a 2:2 so with a third I cant see it being realistic to be honest. A big problem is that masters in economics are by and large only offered by "good" universities. You could try a more vocational course in a related subject which may have an economics component like finance for example. That way if you do really well you may be able to gain entry onto an Economics masters.
Also, have a look at Manchester uni's postgraduate diploma, this will give you entry onto the masters if you get a mark over 50 (i think). Another year tho, not perfect but beggars and choosers!
Good Luck

I

thanks ya'll, more recomendations'll be much appreciated

G

Here's one. Don't put 'bin' on applications. It's BEEN.

O

WHY did you get a third? Lazyness, or extenuating circumstances, or a combination of both? It might be useful to answer this question, in all honesty and without any sarcasm.

I

it mostly laziness, i think i just never got to that "dare to be great moment" early enough to realize that it has passed by... but i still refuse to believe it's 2 late.

J

I know what you mean. I got my 2:2 mostly out of laziness, and also a lack of focus. I've been told I'm good at having great ideas - linking concepts and developing hypotheses - just not so good at seeing it through to the bitter end. Wish I'd figured that out as an undergrad, but onwards and upwards as they say.

O

It's not too late to become an academic achiever. If they won't accept you for your master of choice in economics, just try to get accepted for another, similar master in teaching universities (although even in such institutions quite often a 2.2 minimum is required). Once you are accepted for another master, work extremely hard try to get a distinction or at least merit, then people will look more at that than at your undergraduate third. Then, you can choose to apply again for a masters in economics, for a PhD or for a job in industry. Although the whole process will take another 1.5 years, you can only win if you work hard from now on.

I

that's a very positive reply otto - sorry for hijacking this thread, but how are you this week? feeling better?