It's not about punishing your supervisor or being a whistleblower...

P

I'll be honest, when I first found this site.. I found it incredibly depressing and horrifying - all these stories about evil supervisors, people failing etc.. My PhD ride has been incredibly easy by a lot of posts standards... Relatively lovely (slightly unsupportive) suppervisor, easy 3 years with no issues.. My final writing up year was stressful as I was working full time and editing in my spare time.. but there were no problems with my supervision,

I had a few issues with other people in the department - Lecturers who treated PhD's like scum and who tried to make you do unpaid work for them. I simply told them to sod off..Some of my friends were worried about 'the ramifications on their career in academia', however I was more worried about being treated like crap and then it being harder to stand up for myself later on.

P

If I had been treated badly by my supervisor then I would have not kept quiet. Bullies thrive on their victims keeping quiet and I would rather take a bully down with me, than keeping shtum and watching others become miserable.

S

I agree PC_Geek. Whilst some people do have a torrid time, they tend to be in the minority. My supervisors are generally fine, albeit rare sights around the department right now. To prospective PhD students, don't be deterred by the large number of depressing threads on the board right now. Get on and apply!!