Jack of all trades, master of none...

W

Gah, this isn't a moan or anything (even though it starts with the infamous words), but as I write my methodology and gape in dumb stupidity at the over-ambitious nature of my PhD (benefit of hindsight and all that), I've realised something a bit disconcerting. I only hope others can identify. I've used a lot of techniques in my mixed methods research, ranging from descriptive phenomenology to psychometric theory, and, by far, I am not an expert. I don't even have a rock solid 100% understanding of the techniques I've used. Discounting real social life and normal human beings, more in the realm of PhD students: am I normal?
If I ever make it to the viva and D-day, just how much of an expert are they going to expect me to be? Does anybody else feel like this, discounting the geniuses amongst us?

maybe you have that 'I'm making it all up' feeling, too...

could be a confidence thing? One born every minute's on! Was thinking about watching it, but all looks quite stressful, am torn, no pun intended.

W

Eska, don't tell me what's happening - you'll ruin the plot for me! haha It's my version of 24 - only more dramatic and realistic. It's more violent too - some of those women really lose their tempers at their poor husbands! I'm going to go off on one now, but, I'd love to do an interpretive phenomenological study of the pre-natal experiences of families based on different cultures. I think it could prove useful for a variety pregnancy-based health interventions in the NHS... By Jove, this gives me a fantastic idea for a new Off Topics thread...

T

This is linked to 'imposter syndrome' right? You start to feel like you don't have a grip on your material, but just have faith! I am doing exactly the same thing in my dissertation and think I will be pulled up for it, but I'm just trying to take the relevant bits of different approaches, without tackling them all in their entirety, and bring them together somehow coherently. It might be a bad idea to have this pick and mix approach but, you have to get new ideas from somewhere right? It worries me too, but we'll both have to hope for the best and wait for D-day! No going back now...

T

p.s. my poison is Gossip Girls as of this morning...

A

totally! my phd is in various areas that I've never worked in before, and I've not really got a 100% clear idea about any of them....it should be enough to pull me through though! You never really can know everything about a topic, that's more than a lifetimes work, and it's all part of the fun having something new to learn all the time....so I tell myself anyway, it's how I sleep at night! :-)
and one born every minute was so good last night, I cried! It has also terrified me about labour though!

its the phenemological stance behind all the techniques I'm having trouble with. Is analysis X positivist or contructavist? and what happens if its neither or both? and how do I know? and why should I care??

P

Oh, yes - "rock solid 100% understanding of techniques used" - pah, I feel I know nothing. Okay, not nothing, but not much.. it is shameful, but then, three years (and a half) are not enough to learn everything about everything.. I have just finished my first draft of the overall thesis conclusions chapter, and whilst I re-read it, I thought to myself, just how lame my arguments were, just how weak and floppy my points and conclusions. It is terrible.. but to be fair, there are a few thesis I have read with equally wishy-washy conclusions, just like mine, such as "detection techniques of compound x could be improved" and "more research required". Huhu, I could cry. Is that really the conclusion of alll these years of work?(sprout)

S

Oh dear.... having read this and being mid 2nd year and I am not torn between despair and elation - I know sweet fa :-) nothing, its a disaster, I have not a clue what the heck I'm doing, but that's a good thing right? 8-) oh dear.... I was hoping it would all become crystal clear and I'd be a genius at some mythical point in the 3rd year when it would all become clear and I'd fully understand my topic and be an 'expert'. I honestly feel right now that my chances of graduating are zilch and dropping rapidly to the point of being laughed at or being stuck in an institution for delusional people. It'll come right, it has to, and reading that those of you so close to completion are also still slightly confused is good, it means that when you pass (and you all will) then I can feel better and hope that maybe its ok to just know a bit and not know it all iyswim.... Its funny, I remember when I was starting out on the BA thinking that by the time I graduated I'd know lots, I'd know all I needed to know... ha ha ha.... ahhh sweet innocence - maybe this is the same - we think that by the time we are Drs that we'll be complete experts with a full understanding and maybe it takes years and years of work past then to come close to that - actually, thinking about some of the academics I know that's probably quite correct, if they ever do gain any understanding ;-)

A

I just realised, not only do I feel unsure about most aspects of my thesis, after thinking about jobs etc, I feel like I'm trained for nothing....it's approaching *that* time, I've 7 months left, and everyone, in my department, at home, mates etc are all asking what's next...what jobs I'm applying for....and I don't feel like I know enough to do any job I'd like to! (sprout)

Quote From sneaks:

its the phenemological stance behind all the techniques I'm having trouble with. Is analysis X positivist or contructavist? and what happens if its neither or both? and how do I know? and why should I care??

Actually is it the phenemonological stance or the epistimological??? I have no idea? I don't know what these big words mean and I don't know the difference between them. AAARGH!