Jacobs/Eth ?

L

Hi to everyone!

I have recently finished my Master and I have recently applied for a phd studentship both at Jacobs (Bremen) and at ETH (Zurich). Both are in the fields of robotics.
I have already had an interview at Jacobs. They have been extremely kind and proposed me a fully funded scholarship for a period ranging from 3 to 5 yrs, whereas at ETH I am going to have an interview soon.
In case I should also be accepted by both, which one do you recommend me to opt for? I am slightly more interested in the program at Jacobs, but I don't know how well it ranks in comparison with ETH, which is top ranking at a global level!
Has any of you had any experience of a PhD student (or else) at either of these universities? Which parameters do you recommend me to consider in order to make up my mind?

Thank you all for your attention!!!

M

I can't help you with how the two would compare, but I know Bremen very well and it's a great place. :-) If I had to live in a city, it would be Bremen. Good luck with whatever you decide. :-)

D

I agree with Moonblue - Bremen's a lovely place with a great coffee house that does the most delicious cakes ever!  There's also a pancake ship and a lovely Christmas market! Good luck with the decision - have you discussed this with your supervisor(s) or people in your field as they would probably know more about the reputations of the different institutions.

:p

======= Date Modified 24 Jun 2011 10:25:39 =======
a pancake ship!? :-x

*books flight to bremen*

Personally I'd go on the supervisor reputation in terms of how well their research is received, any recommendations from previous students, rather than the institution.

D

Oh yeah it's lovely 8-)

The supervisor is key to a good PhD supported by a good working environment so it'd be a good idea as Sneaks suggested to talk to previous students who will give you a honest opinion of the supervisor! At this stage the supervisor is important so you can establish a good working relationship. Though it obviously helps if people know the institution especially if you don't plan to stay in academia but if you do stay the supervisor is probably more important! Networking is the key to get anywhere in academia!

M

Oh yes, the pancake ship! :-) Never mind the reputation of the supervisor or university - go for the pancake ship! (up)

L

Thank you all for your kind attention! In any case, I have just had my job interview at ETH and they told me they will let me know about their final decision within the end of July. They also asked me to send to them the statistics about how many people get their master degree summa cum laude. I did not know they were supposed to ask such a thing honestly! In the meantime, I keep my fingers crossed and if I should receive an offer, I will decide at that moment!

Thank you again for your support and help!

Hugs!