Job application dilemma

H

Congrats TreeofLife, I'm really pleased for you, well done!

T

Thanks both!

Yes this is first teaching job as a member of staff. I'm looking forward to learning more about the intricacies of academic life as you say IntoTheSpiral! Yep I've got to do some training like you are describing - so far I know it's a two year program, so I will do the first year this year and then if I continue in the role I will do the next one next year. If not, I can take a break between the years and pick it up again later. I'm not sure yet what I get on completion, whether it's a certificate or accreditation or what.

I start in a month due to my notice period - they were ok with this, partly because I've always known the department to be pretty flexible, but also because I think the teaching allocated to me will start in November. I'm not sure how it will work with 3rd year project students that should start next week, but maybe I will get the ones that start in Jan instead.

Technically I doubt I actually have to work my notice, since I am only switching roles, not leaving the institution, but anyway, my line manger is insisting I do. When I handed my notice in, she didn't say much, just 'thanks for letting me know' and 'I expect you to work your notice'. But yesterday she didn't speak to me at all and left without saying goodbye like she normally does (she has to walk by my desk on the way out). Very childish. Lucky escape if you ask me!