job ideas- evolutionary biology

B

Hi,
As someone whos currently in their last year of a phd, and has no interest in staying in academia- i end up dreaming a bit of different jobs i might like when i finally finish. Anyone else like to do this?
Also, Im an evolutionary biologist, and my phd involves a lot of genetics- i do enjoy lab work and genetics , but academic research is a no, and i end up getting a bit stuck as to ideas of what i can do. I think ive kind of realised that career isnt as important to me as i previously thought, but id still like to have a job i enjoy.
There are lots of biotech jobs etc out there but they seem to be looking more for protein research type people.
maybe i should just quit dreaming and finish the phd first....

S

Maybe you should think about going to see your careers office for a careers interview...they almost never give you the solution you are looking for, but a careers interview is like having someone say: "everything will be OK"

the UKGRAD people have a good reputation for careers workshops etc.

you might want to try this website:

http://evol.mcmaster.ca/brian/evoldir.html

Click on Jobs. I think its mainly academic jobs, but there might be something in there that will allow you to use your evolutionary background.

X

Evolutionary biology is sweet. You could always go into science writing/broadcast journalism if you're interested in the science communication side, but don't want to do academia any more.

You could teach as well, but maybe not your thing.

B

urghh, teaching....
the word just scares me. it'd be alright if it wasnt for the kids.

X

haha, na it's really alright. I did a PGCE in Biology and it was a great experience, I kninda miss teaching but my phd research is still in science educatiuon so I can always go back.
Anyway, I reckon we need more evolutionary biologists as teachers!

C

Have you been on a GRADschool course, or looked in the new wave website for careers ideas? See the prospects planner too.