Job offer as a research assistant

J

======= Date Modified 17 17 2010 16:17:45 =======
I just got a job offer from ministry of public health as a research assistant position. I have no work experience or education in health care. However, they are still offering me the position because I am a bilingual and phd student in Management.

On the second interview, my supervisor shared a rough idea of my duties and responsibilities. My supervisor has MD/Phd degrees--I am so happy he accepted me as his research assistant. He is a bit worried about my education background and work experience that not related to health care. He claimed it takes sometimes for me to learn.

He said, I have to work with him in three projects and also helping on administrative tasks. He asked me whether I am willing to perform those tasks. I said, YES. Then, he also requested me to visit the office on Monday-Wednesday to attend pre-employment observation. I said, okay and also tell him to feel free to send some files for me to learn about the project.

He sent me a project file and asked me to read it carefully. I told him that it is an interesting project. He said he is glad and also happy that I will go to office on Monday Then, he asked me to visit the website and will talk with me on Monday. I will be officially start working on August 1.

How should I do on Monday, first day officially meeting with my supervisor for our workplan/job description? What else should I prepare/bring?

P.S. This is a full-time job position, it is not related to my phd school. However, I will later try to connect the two things together :)

P

Congratulations with your job offer :)

I received a full time research associate position in September 2009 and left in April 2010 so that I can submit my thesis in time for September 2010 although I'm wondering now if I'll ever finish my thesis! :(

I REALLY struggled working full time and finishing my PhD. I loved the job (a bit too much!) and my PhD has suffered as a result :( - but then again I've learnt loads etc, so hopefully it will help.

I think working full time and finishing a PhD can be done, but its very very difficult! Best of luck and I hope you enjoy your job x