johannstein - on the offensive

J

if i ruled the world it would be most people before animals!

S

i actually agree with johannstein this time. I think it is unbelievable that people will protest against a uni. Oxford uni is full of intelligent people, and so this research is important, otherwise the funding wouldn't be available.

The world of science cannot come to a stand-still just because a few people like animals!!!

J

Its not because people 'like animals'. Its because some people know the difference between right and wrong. Which you stu and jo clearly do not. You both make me sick.

S

Jen, you are probably one of those extremist animal rights protesters.

Here is a section from BBC news i think you might like:

"Local MP Dr Evan Harris told the crowd that he acted as a human guinea pig in tests for HIV and Aids treatments.

He received cheers from the crowd as he said: "My message to the extremists is that you will never win.

"Every single action of harassment, of intimidation or violence undermines any legitimacy your case ever had."

I agree completely with this bloke.

J

I am not narrow minded just because I have a moral belief that i stick too. My parents taught me to respect all life and thats what I do. Oh and animals aren't part of my food chain thanks. I am not an extremist. DanB from some of stu's posts it seems to me that he is the one that has no respect for humans.

J

I don't think they are done for fun. I think sometimes scientists lose site of the fact that the animals are living beings that feel pain and therefore they don't look for alternatives, they stick with the same methods. They become desensitised and thats dangerous. As soon as you stop seeing that the animal does suffer then you no longer think of other ways to do things.

I work alongside people that have done animal testing and I still respect them as people. I just don't agree with what they do/have done.

H

Jen, I don't like the thought of animals being in pain as much as you do. However, I agree with the others on this one. Yes people should be aware of alternatives to testing on animals but what are these and how reliable are they? The answer is, things like computer models (I work on these) which to be honest are nowhere near as reliable as animal testing (which also has is downfalls).

To be honest, if you're testing something like pesticides, I would rather know they were tested on a few lab animals than being put through some toxicology software (which mistakenly gives it the go ahead) and then result in hundreds of animals and plants dying and generally causing havoc to the ecosystem.

Apart from the few sick individual, these scientists probably try not to think about what they are doing and see it as a necessity rather than enjoyment. I take my hat off to them that they are able to do it because I dont think I could.