Journal Abbreviations

A

I need to do the journal abbreviations in the reference list for a journal paper I am preparing. Where can I find the list? They suggest http://www.nlm.nih.gov/tsd/serials/lji.html, but I can't understand where to go

H

Does that mean you're creating your reference list manually? If so, DON'T.

Most standard bibliographic packages (Endnote, Reference Manager, Mendeley, Zotero) will abbreviate the journal names as required by the specified journal assuming they have the right style settings for that journal (you may have to download them)

If you're not already using one of these, start now. Really, there's no good reason to want to do these things manually all of the time.

A

I am using a Reference Manager, however for some I do not have the shortened title. So most of my references are OK (have the journal abbreviation), but when I compiled my bibliography, I have a couple which did not come abbreviated automatically, and I do not have others in the bibliography which are abbreviated, so I would need to find the abbreviated title and include it manually into the reference manager.

A

PS: I am using Refworks, which is what my Uni provides

H

======= Date Modified 27 Apr 2011 16:50:01 =======
Hmm, that's odd. I've not used Refworks but I thought most packages did that kind of thing automatically as long as you specified which journal style you wanted the bibliography to be in.

I don't know the best place to look really. If there aren't that many, maybe you could post the names of the journals and the place you're submitting it to and folks here can help you work it out.

H

PS. Forgive me if my initial post seemed patronising but on more than one occasion I've come across PhD students (including those who have submitted their theses) who have never used reference management software and used various laborious processes to create bibliographies for each new document.:-(

A

I had around 5 journals for which I had no abbreviation. I now managed to find them in Web of Science, so that is done :) Thanks