Journal Papers, What do You Do?

P

Yes, I have them everywhere too...car, gym bag, bathroom, next to bed, under bed, kitchen. The worse is when I loose one, print it again, make notes all over it, find the old one and then have to compile all the scribbles onto one!
I think the idea with using EndNote as an electonic store with P for printed ones is a good idea, I think I will go that route and give up my guilt about the paper and ink, oh, and filling up the house

F

This might prove to be an added expense for you, but I tend to collect together a whole load of papers, then get them ring bound at the campus stationers with different colour card to differentiate them. I now have a veritable library of plastic bound 'books' on my shelves, and I can picture wheich article is in which colour book. I find them easier to carry around than big folders, they fit in bags easier, and you can post-it, highlight and scribble to your heart's content. PS congrat's on the offer.

P

Hi
Thanks and thank you, this is a good idea, I did this way back for my first degree. I actually bought a ring binder and I am ashamed to say a year later, it is still in its box! You have inspired me to get some rings and card and get my papers organised

P

PS
It was a really really cheap one! No idea if it works!

J

I've exactly the same problem, mine is also theory based and I'm really stuck about this. I've started several systems, cards- cards relating to cards,but I can't see how this will work long term. I've printed out more documents and used more trees than I care to think about. I've a filing cabinet in the garage full to bursting with stuff from my MA days, and every time I think about clearing out a few bits I also come across that vital bit of info that I will want to use, but how to remember where it is, or even that I have it is really causing problems and I would like to get it sorted before I get much further as otherwise I'm going to have to go back over a load of stuff in order to get it organised.

S

I have to print them out too - typically print them, read them, save a PDF file of the them and keep hard copies of any really important ones that I think I will come back to

F

I seem to suffer from a terminal case of hoarding. I'm terrified of throwing out articles or photocopied chapters in case I need them in the future. It didn't do me any good the other day, mind. One of my shelves gave up under the weight and fell on my head. I ended up literally buried under a pile of books and papers. I think I'm still slightly concussed, but at least I found the paper I was looking for hehehe. The joys of studying...

P

Filmfundi, that is funny, sorry
It is only a matter of time before the same happens here, my shelves are ditching in the middle
I have come to the conclusion that I am not going to feel guilty anymore but I am going to get more electronic (EndNote) and organize this mess, but where to start......

F

Good luck working out Endnote. I just can't bring myself to trust computers. One glitch and its all scrambled, scary thought. To err is human, to really foul up requires a computer heheheh (imagine a grinning smily here...see? I can't even figure that one out!)