Journal reviewers

M

Hi, Am new here so be gentle! I am submitting in 13 days. I have had one paper published and my second paper submitted. Its just come back from the reviewers and basically 2 have accepted it (minor editing) but one in particular has ripped it apart. Problem is, his/her comments make no sense. what do I do? they have quoted references for a completely different genus, they have quoted references for biofilm formation when its on survival in the gut. They have made comments like results and discussion are merged and should be separate when they are already separate and are not merged in the manuscript. Some of the comments don't actually make sense at all i.e. the English is so bad i can't make out what they are trying to say. The list is endless.

Could anyone advise what I am to do? My supervisor has gone to a conference and isn't back for 10 days so I am a bit stuck!

Thanks.

J

Hi Moocow,

When you received the reviewers comments, did the editor say whether or not the article had been accepted pending the changes being made? If so, I would just make the minor changes, and if you can see any worthwhile changes in the third reviewers changes, make them as well. When you re-sumbit the manuscript say how you've addressed the points and explain why you have not made the changes suggested by the third reviewer (that it doesn't fit with the context of the study, etc).

My supervisor tells me that often reviewers, especially if they are from a very similar area, will try assert their own opinions in the review. I think this is maybe what has happened with your third reviewer.

M

Thank you very much for your reply. I am working through the changes and have dug out the papers that the reviewer is quoting. None of them are relevant to my study. I am currently gathering together all the info that I can and then will (as you suggest) re-submit with a strong case to the editor.

Believe me, choice language has been used directed at this reviewer!! I agree that he is actually publishing in this area - some of the comments just make me think that.

Thank you!

K

Hey Moocow! I was in a similar position to yourself just a few weeks ago where one reviewer had basically said it was fine with just a few very minor changes, and whilst the other reviewer hadn't exactly shredded it, he/she suggested some changes and made some comments that basically made no sense or were irrelevant. In this case it was clear that the reviewer didn't have much knowledge of existing research in my area (I was surprised- it was my first submssion and I expected the reviewers to be much more closely matched to my own area of research) thus the majority of the suggestions that were made were completely inappropriate. In the end I just listed all of the points made and gave my reasons for not making the changes suggested by this reviewer, although I did make a few of the more minor changes suggested, and sent it back to the editor. It got accepted straight away after that with no more changes required. So I would just argue your case against each point clearly and politely- if the editor can then see that the comments made by the reviewer aren't appropriate then it shouldn't count against you if you don't make the suggested changes or can't make sense of the suggestions anyway! Good luck! KB

R

Hi Moocow,

I had a very similar experience as Keenbean. I have contacted the editor who was very understanding and suggested to make changes as far I thought was reasonable.

I have made several minor changes. In the letter to the reviewers I explained my actions and why several of their suggestions were not followed.
I have resubmitted and am now waiting for the final reply.:-)

M

Thanks for the replies. that sounds like there is hope at least! I should have made clear that it went to 4 reviewers. 2 Accepted it with very minor changes, the third made a very good point and I am rooting out papers at the mo to explain my methology but its the 4th that has come up with the greatest load of BS that you can imagine!!!! I don't mind at all them making suggestions etc (like reviewer 3 has) but you wouldn't believe the comments from the 4th reviewer. thanks a million for your replies. Hopefully it will be OK.