Just a little something

K

Ive had a bad day. 4 months into my second year and I'vef inally realised that I only work well and consistently if I'm in the office during regular hours and have my daily goals planned out. I can't function without routine. Today I couldn't get to uni because of the snow so...I've sat here all day and done nothing. And I don't have time to be doing nothing at the moment : ( I'm feeling glad, however, that I can finally recognize this. I came across this poem today which made me smile and thought some of you might like to read it - I like to think I'm now at chapter 3 :-)

Autobiography in Five Short Chapters

Chapter 1
I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost… I am helpless.
It isn’t my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter 2
I walk down the street.
I pretend that I don’t see it.
I fall in again.
I can’t believe I am in this same place.
But, it isn’t my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter 3
I walk down the same street.
I see it is there.
I still fall in … it’s a habit … but, my eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.

Chapter 4
I walk down the same street.
I walk around it.

Chapter 5
I walk down another street.

N

I like that, sounds very familiar! I think on a good day I am chapter 3 but on a bad day I'm chapter 1 then feel awful for it! I tend to worry a bit more if I'm not in a routine for reasons that I can't control, and of course worrying reduces productivity. I'm beginning to realise that I need routine as well, I have a new diary where I plan what work I am going to do and that is helping a lot. Good luck with getting into university tomorrow!

K

Thanks Natassia,

Glad you liked it : ) I know what you mean about ricocheting between the two 'chapters' but I think it's good to at least recognize why that's happening. I spent most of my first year struggling to get any regular amount of work done, but never figuring out why. Now I'm obsessed with routine! Being completely unable to do any work in the house is probably a bit of a handicap though...