just started phd, stressed already

T

Hello all,
I am worried because I have just begun my phd and because I am starting a topic from scratch, I am worried my supervisors might not like it when I present it for our first meeting.:(
I am so scared they will find so many wrong things in it like impossibility of measuring the effect I want to analyse, too broad etc.... :(

I am so scared I can't even concentrate for my reading! It feels like it is all a stupid idea!

C

Hi toneitup,
what is your topic about?

N

You're at the start of your PhD and still defining your research topic, so you shouldn't be alarmed that you haven't figured it out yet.

It's almost inevitable that your supervisors will find problems at this stage. Their feedback should help you focus your ideas, close of less productive research questions, and place tighter parameters on your work. Students commonly end up examining a very small area of their proposed topic.

It sounds like you're experiencing the same anxieties the overwhelming majority of PhD students feel early on, which is not to downplay how you feel. Importantly, you're also thinking about your work critically, and the ability to solve problems you identify is an essential skill for PhD research.

T

Your supervisors will be expecting to guide you and help you refine your project. That's what they are there for. Don't worry, everyone has these anxieties. You'll get through it :)