Keeping motivated

W

I'm excited to start my PhD this Autumn (in a humanities topic) and I'm lucky enough to do it with full funding. At the same time, I'm finding the prospect of full time independent research kind of daunting. I'm looking for advice on how to set my work schedule and make sure I stay disciplined, organised and interested, especially since, by the time I start, it will have been a year since I graduated from my MA. Any tips?

T

I always find it really hard to set things up before I am properly into something and know what my workload is like. I guess for now you could make a timetable for doing some reading? I know some people who tried to just stick to a 9 to 5 during their PhD. So that could be a good guide (although during busy times you would probably go way beyond that - and during quiet times you might do way under that!). Sounds exciting anyway - hope you have a good start :) Just out of curiosity, will there be in person things to attend or is it all online still due to the pandemic situ?