Knowing when to stop - reading wider lit.

M

I am at an early literature review stage and I'm having real trouble knowing when to stop reading for it. I am guessing this is a common problem -- it feels like reading could just go on and on for 3 years!!! I am thinking of just stopping the reading - write up completely what I have at the moment, and then fill any gaps. However, this seems like a short term solution because the minute I see a gap forming off I will go again with reading. It just never seems to be enough!

S

I personally try to write what it is I want to say (based on a knowledge of the literature) then go back and fill the gaps with the appropriate references if I don't know them at the time.

If you really don't know the subject area, then it is almost impossible to aviod doing some basic reading first

The reason I do it this way is to get a structure and flow for the writing.

Personally I find you could read one paper after another - which is great for your knowledge but doesn't neccessarily speed up the process.

Probably somewhere in between - write till you are bored, read till you are bored, write till you are bored..................