Lack of direction for my project

R

Hi everyone,
could anyone please offer me advise about getting a direction/focus for my project. I am in my second year and feel I need to set out a plan with milestones and a timeframe but don't seem to have a specific aim for my project.
Is this completely down to me or should my supervisor be helping me with this? I have no idea where to start with it, please help!
Thanks x

B

I think that's exactly the sort of thing your supervisor should be able to assist you with - that's what he/she is paid for, after all. Your supervisor will probably know very well from experience how long things tend to take, how to timetable each part of your thesis etc.

If you feel you can be absolutely honest, it's certainly worth telling your supervisor that you feel a bit 'aimless' too. They're not only there for the logistic side of things (timetable and so on), but if they know your area at all (which I'm assuming they do), then they should be able to help you articulate your specific research goals. Call me optimistic...

S

I had the same problem, didn't think it was going anywhere imaginative.
No.1 - its your project - you decide - supervisors provide help and support, but after year one it should be up to you.
The best thing I always advise is time spent planning well now will save you hours/ weeks/ months later
Start by looking at the current publications you are going along with then think - where could I publish in all of this - try incorporate what you have already done- this could take you a month but its well sorth it!

S

cont....
Start by focusing every experiment on where it would fit into a paper - it stops you doing random experiments that mean nothing.
If you want to go a completely different direction, make sure there is sound reasoning behind it.
Remember if you go way off topic, your supervisor may not have the knowledge to help you later when you need it- but if you stick too close to current publications, chances are someone is already doing it! - take a look at the numerous threads from people who were out published!
Its a game, but pick the right direction early on and you'll make you life a lot easier
Good Luck