Lack of skills

M

Just wanted to find out how other people are coping with learning new skills for their PhDs. I'm half way through my first year in Classics and find that I'm struggling to find a balance between learning the skills I need and actually doing my research work. Just for general career reasons (rather than a specific aspect of my PhD) I was learning ancient Greek during the first two terms in an undergraduate class, plus I sat in on a couple of other classes. That was all manageable but now I'm really trying to focus on learning German as there's so much secondary literature on my subject in German (and some in Italian and French although I have good French and Italian is just about (!) accessible because I have Latin). I find that I'm trying to read a complex academic text on the one hand while working through my beginners' German text book on the other. Even though it's a textbook specifically designed for learning German for academic reading l still find I'm making slow progress. I've just stopped seeing the tutor I had because even she struggled with the academic texts I was taking along and I felt like I was just expecting her to read them for me.

The whole issue is really getting me down today however as I'm now panicking about my Latin too. I have advanced Latin (in theory) from my BA and MA and I use it every day in my work. I therefore planned to take up doing bits of tutoring just to get some experience and bring in a bit of extra cash since I'm not teaching at the university until next year. I had a student lined up for beginner Latin revision starting this morning but I had to cancel because I realized I just can't do it! I understand the grammar and principles and basic vocabulary that's in the text book but I'm just not quick enough at the exercises to be able to teach somebody on a one to one basis. Now I feel totally depressed, terrible for having let the student down, and like even if I keep doing good research I'll never be able to get a job because I just won't have the other skills. I know that just putting time into regular Latin linguistic work would probably fix the problem but I'm struggling enough to get the other skills I need done.

I know that it's very normal to have areas of weakness and ignorance and that's part of the PhD process, but I feel so embarrassed to have got this far and yet actually be deficient in so many basics of my subject.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fill the skills gaps without losing too much crucial 'research' time? :-(

S

hi again. First of all congratulations for being in and surviving your 1st year. All of us have to strike a balance between learning new skills and doing our research. You are learning greek, german, some italian/french and lots of latin! One suggestion is that perhaps you could allot certain days for certain things. Make a personal schedule and review it everyday.

For example: Mondays and tuesdays for german, wednesday for greek, and research work on thursdays and fridays, AND latin every morning for weekdays!

I think you have the ability to tutor the student. Perhaps you were feeling overwhelmed at that point. Try again. Perhaps you can prepare the latin revisions of that student during the times you have alloted yourself for Latin. Don't give up.

Another suggestion is to prioritize your languages. Is Greek very important now? If not, maybe you could concentrate on the other languages first, and come back to it later, that way you will be able to think clearer.

We go through mind-shifts when we do things. For example, when you read German, you think in German, right? So you need to be in a Latin-shift when you do Latin. Then you will tutor successfully. On Research-days, you will be in Research Mode. That way, you won't have to worry about the German literature you are reading etc. We just need to put these things aside. I know it sounds difficult, but really I think we can do it.

To speak and learn several languages (no matter what level it is!) is a tremendous blessing.
Hang in there.