language help

E

Can somebody explain to me the following sentence?

"And besides constructing himself in opposition to an evoked mass of feckless educational n’er do wells"

I have found it in a paper and I suspect it's something interesting, but I can't understand what "an evoked mass of feckless educational n’er do wells" means.

Thank you!

L

Oh dear! That is a strange sentence! Can you provide a bit more of the context around the sentence please? Like, what is it about?!

I think, and this is just a guess, that this person created a personality which was against the norm. Evoked mass of feckless educational n'er do wells sounds almost like it's a group of academics and the author is suggesting that they are reckless...! If you could provide a bit more info though then I may be able to have more of a stab at guessing! Is this an autobiography of someone? It sounds like the author is suggesting the person arose to be great or something despite the climate they were in!

I hope I haven't confused you any more!

E

You've been really helpful!!!!

I think this is exactly what it means!!

Thank you so much!!!!

L

Phew! (up) glad I helped :-)

C

I'd read it a little differently.

n'er do well = never do well. My understanding of this is it means a person is not going to amount to anything because they don't try. A couple of online dictionaries have it to mean "lazy". So "eduactional n'er do wells" would be people who don't try/work hard in school/educational setting.

feckless - no sense of responsibility

I also googled the whole sentece and found what might be the paper you're talking about. I'd say it means the person is constructing himself against a the described large group of people who are educationally lazy with no sense of their own responsibilty.

E

I don't think that you've read differently....

He is constructing himslelf as different than the perceived norm....

I think that you agree with Lindalou.

Thank you, too!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I really like this forum, because I can get grat help!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Thank you ALL!!!!