Laptops: how much should you spend?

G

FAO: Sue.

In the Dept of Computing so no probabaly not .

Yep it SHOULD play 100% fine. A half decent graphics card should handle most things like Video's. What its doing sounds unhealthy to me. Things you could try...see if Sony have released a driver update [firmware] for the drive. It might be a known bug they have subsequently fixed. Google the make/model with a 3 word description of the problem. Doubt you'll be the 1st to experience it. Also find the a Vaio user group, they'll undoubtedly know [www.whatlaptop forum is good to for questions also].

You could try reinstalling Windows, but I doubt that will fix. It sounds like an overheating problem. Take the back off and see if the vents are dusty. Blow them out with a straw.

Failing all that, If its still in warranty ask Sony.

Like I said, not that helpful.

GP

G

RE Torrents Mathews correct. Just when it comes to Office 2007 and Vista Ultimate at God knows how much a pop, I figure BG doesn't need my money. Sorry if that sounds unethical. It's a personal choice in the end.

M

What about OpenOffice, Golfpro? ;)

G

Yep, I know there are alternatives. I use Neo office on the Mac. Well I have it, I 'use' an illegal version of Office 2004.

I just rationalise it that I'm a starving student and its only fair. That sweeping, warped logic also applies to music [Simon and Garfunkels greatest hits this morning], and films.

S

Thanks Golfpro. I already spent a morning searching the web etc but didn't find much that looked useful. I've forgotten how to sign in to the Sony discussion groups so will try that once I get my username/password...

M

What annoys me most of all is software with a limited licence. If I buy a program, why can't a install it on my PC, my sister's PC, and my parents' PC, wihtout needing to buy a separate package for each one???!?!?!?!

P

I work on a mac-mini which I have modded a bit & I absolutely it.
I still have my orange clam shell ibook (circa 1998) which I had to do a bit of surgery on but basically still works OK as well.
I have to confess to being an enthusiatic amateur and like getting under the bonnet.