Lara's Writing Up Diary - inspired by Jojo

C

Hey BB,
I've heard similar things of master doc - that it requires some level of genius to operate, but at the same time it is a life saver...I am hoping I have long enough to work it out without getting a sideline phd in IT.
Lara, a bit of time off is probably very important in your schedule...I've been working every day for a while and am definitely losing productivity. someone has said before that your time off is very important, so don't worry too much!

L

Thanks cakegirl! that's really encouraging to hear

i feel like i'm working in slow motion today.. and feeling abit depressed

L

feeling less depressed now... got my results tables done. but noticed a few mistakes, but corrected it.

total productive time - approx 4 hours.

B

Hey Lara, how are you getting on RE: your 2nd of June deadline? What subject area are you in BTW?

Best of luck!

B.x

L

Thanks Bobby! so nice of you to check up on me.

well i got an idea of making another results table from a paper that looked at a similar thing.
so i will send it to my supervisor later on this evening. as long as i send it by tommorow, it will be fine.

i want to spend a few more hours, to bring all the data together and summarise it..because based on this first draft, and my conclusions of the results, she will decide whether the results are worth putting in my thesis! and whether i can write a chapter on it. if not, i would have wasted alot of time!!

so i really need to prove the results show something significant and interesting.

my subject is in biology.

what's your phd in? and what year are you in?

L

nothing like a deadline to focus the mind and get you motivated!

B

Ahhh, I see. Well sounds like you're on track!

I am first year. Feels like a looooot longer! Cognitive Psychology/ Cognitive Neuroscience!

L

Thanks Bobby!!
i appreciate your encouragement!

coginitive psychology and neuroscience, wow sounds very interesting!! very impressive

L

*clocks in *

approx producitive time spent = 5 hours and 30 minutes.
total words approx - 2000.

accomplished. tables and results calculations done.
finished my first zero draft of the results section of chapter 5.

i am feeling pretty tired now, so i am done for today.

i will look through my zero draft tommorow and turn it into a first draft fit enough to email to my supervisor tommorow.

i think the zero draft needs to rest overnight, and i need fresh pair of eyes to look over it tommorow. i am feeling too tired to do it now.

seems like deadlines really do get my butt into gear lol. i really pushed myself today, and took no breaks and just worked all day, even though at times i wanted to just take a long break and get away from it, i kept at it, because i knew today was my last day to get it done.

L

and now i feel good that i accomplished a zero draft of the results section of one of my chapters. even though its a tiny piece of the big puzzle. it feels good to have taken that one tiny step...and even though its only a crappy zero draft, it's better than what i had last week, which was a blank document

L

I want to say a big thank you to everyone on the forum for your support and encouragment, i could not have done it without you guys! ya'll are the best !

J

looks like you're making progress Lara. Well done

L

awww thanks Jojo! i appreciate that!...it's all down to you!! you inspired me!
--

L

just checking through my zero draft right now, and turning it into a first draft, as I have to email it to my 2nd supervisor by 3pm.

L

I have composed the following email to my 2nd supervisor, who is the nice one and really helpful. unlike my evil first supervisor..

she wanted me to send her a rough draft of what i think the results mean, before i wrote a polished chapter of it. and she will decide whether i can write a chapter on these results or not..

let me know if the email sounds okay.. thanks

----
Hi *****,

I hope you are well...

I am sending you my draft of the m**** results and what I think it all means.

Sorry I have taken so long on it, and please excuse the quality of the writing and the results, the draft is not polished, even though it's gone through several drafts.

I would be very grateful to hear what you think of it.

I have attached the word document, and the excel file sheet that contains the results tables.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your help.

Kindest Regards,