Last 3 month of my PhD and I think I am going to fail. What can I do ?

V

Hi I am in the last three month of my PhD and I don't think I have enough to pass my PhD. I most likely will be given a MPhill.I should say I am an experimentalist and my work is heavily dependent on the data I have. Anyway the first 1 and a half years were ok, I had found lots of new stuff passed my transfer event easily. I even managed to write a draft version of a scientific paper I hoped to publish ( which has been sitting on my supervisors desk for a year unread ). For the second half of my PhD I analysed data from a new experimental setup, and I have found nothing of any use at all. The whole experiment seems to have been a disaster! and my supervisor has only really shown any interest in the last two weeks which is too late frankly and confesses he does not have time to help me. I have never really got on with my supervisor, and they never ever seem to have any time to help me and they are, and have been throughout the PhD very unsupportive and arrogant. I have spoken to my head of group who advises me to demand more time and effort from my supervisor and basically be more confrontational with them. I have tried this in the past but my supervisor just goes of in a mood and does not speak to me for a long time. Anyway like I say Im pretty sure I will get a MPhill ( My supervisor even admitted himself there is not enough time to do anything else) so anyone got any advice on the way ahead for me. My dreams of a research career are in tatters so I need to look for a job. What should I say in job interviews about my PhD and why I failed it ?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance

M

Hi Vilee,

I'm sorry to hear about your worries. I was wondering if you've had anyone else (i.e. other than yourself) telling you that you may not have enough data to pass the PhD? I hope I don't come across as patronizing but in my experience everyone have self-doubts from time to time, and their work may not be in as bad a state as they think. Secondly I can relate to your problem with your supervisor. Mine has always been pretty absent, and in my opinion hasn't given me enough time and attention (he often takes months to read my work, and we have a meeting approximately every 2-3 month...). I had also been advised to give him more pressure to give me more attention, but I'm afraid i have never managed to do this... Having said that I'd advise you to try get as much time/attention/support out of your supervisor as possible. It's his job to help you pass the PhD too! Do you have somebody in your dept/faculty/uni that supports postgrad matters that you could talk to and get advice from?

Is there any chance that you could extend your PhD too? You didnt say if you are in the last 3 months of your 3rd or 4th year. If you are in the 3rd then lots of people take longer than 3 years i.e. you may still have time to get more data for you thesis. If funding is a problem have you talked to other people in your research group/dept to see if there may be small jobs that you can take up to help you going? Also, I'm not totally sure about this, but even if the examiners don't like your thesis you don't necessarily get a MPhil? I know people who have been given major corrections and another year to do their PhD. I know it's not great having major corrections, but it's certainly not as bad as failing and never getting a chance to get the PhD. Even so, I heard that major corrections are rare. Anyhow I think it sounds like the most important thing you have to do is have a proper meeting with your supervisor and assess just how much more data you do need (if at all), if you haven't done that yet?

I hope you get things sorted out soon!! Good luck!

H

Hi Vilee...

I'm sorry to hear/read about your situation...

If it is really true that you can't get a PhD on time, can you apply for an extension? Maybe within that period you will be able to have enough/significant data/results for PhD level. As for the lack of supervision (I'm also in this situation), & in case you can't find other person to advise/ discuss about you research with, I think maybe you can just send your paper for international/high impact factor journal publication from now on, without waiting for your supervisor's feedback (since you have waited for one year). If it is accepted, it's good- that means your research is up to a high standard, but in case otherwise/rejected, I believe the reviewer comments may help you in reshaping/ rethinking what were inappropriate about your previous methods, etc and how to improve them. I think the modifications/improvements/corrections can be  made based on the both paper's and viva feedbacks during the extension period. These are just my suggestions and point of view. Anyway, it is all up to you...

J

number one, get an extension, you should get that easily enough. number two, take a little bit of time out and read Dunleavy's book, about setting out your chapters, and his thoughts on the writing process, number three, look at Hart' s book, writing a literature review, not for the literature review bit, but for the way to go about looking at what you have. I made some surprising discoveries about my material using this book. Remember that 'no result' is also a result, just a different one to the one you were expecting. you can write about the way you would use this to further your research, picking out areas that you think might yield interesting material if pursued. Look at your results from a different angle, see if they tell you anything, mind map it, doodle it, let your thoughts on it wander down different paths. You have done most of the work, have the rest of the stuff sorted, go for it. Don't let your non-visible supervisor get in the way of what you want to do - and don't forget you have paid for his time, it is a contract between you and the uni, so it shouldn't be a case of he hasn't got time, and if he really can't be bothered, go to your postgrad dept and suggest that as your super is unable to help you, you need someone to fill the vacancy so that you have the support to help you finish this. Otherwise of course you will have cause to appeal against any adverse outcome My supervisor was recently hauled over the metaphorical coals for lack of communication by someone higher up than him and has now got back in touch, so a word in the right ear may do wonders for their availability. Don't give up, and don't let them suggest you should do so. Course there is time, as for the future, worry about that later, concentrate on getting this finished first. You can do it!:-)

H

Hi Joyce!

May I know the title of the Dunleavy's book? Thanks

J

Dunleavy (2003 )'Authoring a PhD: how to plan.draft, write and finish a doctoral thesis or dissertation' Basingstoke; Palgrave Macmillan. Lots of good stuff in there. Well worth a read. :-)