Last few days before viva- eeeeek

P

Just under two weeks left before my viva ............

I feel so drained, tired and stressed! I'm trying not to fall in the trap of learned helplessness and an adverse self fulfilling prophecy given very low expectations from my supervisory team (ie possibility of an mphil, most likely outcome a resubmission, minor corrections, not a possibility).

I'm currently working through research papers mentioned in my thesis and a few new ones relevant to my thesis, with the ultimate aim to revise my subject again (its been 8 months since I submitted) and highlight the strengths of my thesis.

I'm pleased to say that no one has gone into this level of depth before, utilised my mixed method approach, utilised a specific sort of method, considered looking at various types of comparisons, developed directories to encourage further research and accelerate awareness of a service, along with presenting four lengthy result chapters in one study. All in all, I think I can put a case for demonstrating originality.

In terms of research competence- my thesis includes 1) reliability checks for both quantitative and qualitative methods and piloted measures etc etc. 2) evaluation of selected methods and considered other approaches. 3) effect size calculations throughout to demonstrate my findings- whereas only a very very small percentage of studies in my field have bothered to calculate effect sizes. My discussion chapter is very weak, but I've developed a plan of the main points of limitations, implications and conclusions I want to add to a resubmitted discussion chapter. I've also developed a handful of suggestions for further follow up studies. I've also formulated ideas about changing parts of my research question and implementation with the benefit of hindsight. In sum, I'm hoping I can put a case together to demonstrate competencies in research.

What's troubling me is that my literature review chapters are just too long and too detailed. I've also missed a few key references and some of my literature review sections contain little to no critical evaluation of the literature. Although, I've tried to summarise the main limitations of previous studies and gaps within the evidence base.

Anyway, plans before viva.

1) Continue flagging acknowledged limitations and omissions. Formulate a table of acknowledged limitations and errors, along with page numbers and intended correction.
2) Continue to revise and summarise arguments and points raised within my thesis chapters (page by page- eeek)
3) Finish 'plan for resubmission' document. Ideas about restructuring, reducing and cutting out some extra detail. Include plans for integrating more critical awareness of studies.
4) Finish reading and revising articles.

I seriously feel like I'm on some torturous journey sitting on death row, awaiting my execution! Dealing with this uncertainty is beyond awful! :(

I JUST WANT AN OPPORTUNITY TO RESUBMIT for a PhD!!! I don't want to fail this!! :(

K

Hey Pineapple! Although it must be sooo stressful for you right now I'm guessing you will also be very relieved just to get this thing over with and out of the way. I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like you've done a really good job of your research and have demonstrated the thoroughness of your research and also its originality- two very big issues that will count in your favour. It sounds like you've done enough work- 4 long results chapters sounds great. So it looks like the main thing you're worried about are the more theoretical aspects- your lit reviews and discussion. I would think those sorts of issues could be dealt with through corrections- I don't think you will completely fail if the standard of your research is good enough. I think you need to focus on the strong points, and be aware of the weaknesses, and go in there feeling as confident as you can (I know, that's probably hard for even the most confident of people!) and show them why you deserve your PhD. Loads of luck going your way! KB