learning to touch type aged 30

S

i did a touch typing course when i was 17 (i'm 31 now), at school, on an electric typewriter. i had to beg my parents to pay for it.
it's certainly been worth it - i save a lot of time compared to other colleagues who can't touch type and once i get into the flow of it i can write stuff down before i forget it.
it's also really great for chatting and getting lots of mails written in a short period of time...

B

I use speech recognition software sometimes for disability reasons. But it doesn't cope well with my obscure history terms, despite retraining, and I find it a strange way of working. I tend to use it to brainstorm ideas, or if all else absolutely fails (like my arms stop working!) But I'd much rather touch-type, and am hoping I get to the end of my thesis that way.

S

Thanks for all the suggestions and testimonials guys - I'm getting there, slowly..

C

I used a software called typingtutor.. its quite good..

R

Dear Sushidave, there are plenty of free softwares available on the internet which teach you typing on the keyboard. I used 'typingtutor' a couple of years ago. The software tracks your speed and accuracy and teaches you how to place your hands on the keyboard. It also illustrates which finger to use for an alphabet. A week practice on such a software will make you a pro.
I hope this helps your query

O

Good luck with the typing. It really is a matter of practice makes perfect. The more you do, the better you will be. Something you might want to consider is the kind of keyboard you have--I think its much easier to type on a split ( ergonomic) keyboard than the standard straight board. One thing, its better for your wrists and hands and is supposed to help eliminate problems that the straight board might cause. The spacing is more comfortable, I find, and its nearly impossible now for me to type on a straight board, though I can do about 60 wpm on a split board. I have broken fingers and injured my hand from sports and falling off my horse, and the split board is soooo much easier to type on, as I have some pain and mild arthritis and etc from the injuries.

O

not current broken fingers...broken as in the past....