Leave PhD for job?

R

Thanks Otto, those were my exact thoughts. PhD research does seem detached from reality, and any job opportunities possible with a PhD seem to want experience to some extent as well. This means that 3-4 years down the line, I'll be getting the same job I could get now.

H

I agree with some of the others, go for the job.

I'm only doing the PhD to get the job in industry that I really want (and requires a PhD).

Good luck!

R

Hi guys,
I've just heard I've got an interview for the job on Monday!! Assuming I like the company and they like me, I think its likely I'll be leaving my PhD. I haven't said anything to anyone at uni about this. Does anyone know the usual procedure for leaving (ie: notice I have to give, what happens with my funding etc.)
Thanks,

Ryan

S

only thing i know is that you might be able to get a MPhil out of it. when quitting before your upgrade, you have the option of completing some written stuff (you'd have to talk to your department) and then getting that degree, which would mean your time as PhD student wouldn't have been wasted!

good luck with that job!

R

Just thought I'd give you an update...

Basically, had an interview on Monday. Company was everything I'd hoped for-interesting work (they make systm one, which is the patient's records system for the NHS), decent pay and good prospects, nice people and a nice space to work. They let me know that they wanted me then and there. So I'm taking the job and starting next week!!! Have told Uni, which was hard...my supervisor had just come back after visiting another university, and it was a bit of a shock for him. But its the right choice I think. Haven't bothered asking about an MPhil, since I probably wont have time with the job and stuff, and the way I see it the time isn't wasted because you have to try things to know they're not right for you.

F

Congratulations on getting the job Ryan. I hope you are happy and I am glad it was not too traumatic telling your supervisor.

Good luck!

S

CONGRATS! You've made the right decision getting out now if you're not happy and I wish you all the best.

J

wishing you the best ryan..