Leaving my PhD (summary)

J

Just an update from me about my situation. I hope it helps someone. Taking the advice of the extremely helpful posters to my question (esp. Rjb203) I went to see the postgraduate director to discuss my situation. She told me that my work was a bit "boring" and sympathised with my predicament. I also told her things weren't working as they should and the help from my supervisors was minimal. A long story short she went to see met with my supervisors and explained the situation. The help from my supervisors became more structured with regular meeting and review of my work.

That was all good for a couple of months.

To date I am still doing what I was doing a long time ago, I still have a lack of enthusiasm for the field, the relationship with my second supervisor is poor. I had to present my project for 15mins at around the 6month stage. It went okay for me because it was a serious amount of work I was showing, however it was notably boring with one of the PI's who was running the event looking down with a grin on his face and not paying a lot of attention (as my work is not exciting and is basically showing the same trends for different compunds). So that reaction pretty much sums up my work and I am frustrated that that is mostly what all I have done for a year.

Right now I am STILL considering leaving my PhD. I have been told that if I progress past october and decide to quit then the institute will be fined £15,000, which has really given me a deadline. I just have to pluck up enough courage within myself to quit (not an easy thing at all!!) and try and find another position.

Many thanks for those that have helped and I will keep the board updated.

JD

J

Conclusions
+I should have gone more for the project rather than the prestige of the university

+If you have little enthusiasm for the field and your work isn't inspiring you - seek help from your PG director and discuss your issues, this is better than keeping quiet (and can be done in confidence).

+Give the project and supervisors a little time to win you over, don't rush into an impulsive decision.

+The relationship you have with your supervisors is v.important, if it's poor then the situation is unlikely to get any better (this can affect your motivation, your work and your general well-being in the lab).

+Quitting isn't easy - I am still afraid of doing it but I'm most likely going to in the next month. If you fell the field is not right for you, don't try and force yourself to like it. A number of students in the past have quit for various resons and it hasn't been the end of the world.

+A PhD is HARD work, enthusiasm for your field complements your enthusiam for project and science in general, making the process a little easier.

Hope this helps,

JD

H

Hi JD,
Sorry to hear about your plight. The contents of your email are absolutely spot on, in particular the section about supervisory support. It really does not get better. On the contrary, it deteriorates beyond salvation. I wonder what it would take for the academics to do something about the tragic state of affairs? Its scandalous that some literatis behave like morons when it comes to inter-personal interactions. They have missed out the person in the equation of education. I'm still struggling with my supervisors who want to change the focus of my thesis in the write-up stage! How suicidal is that? Kamikaze pilot I am not. I think they left their heads in the toilet. I'm doing a DIY PhD and its so not funny. Just damn hard work.
I applaud you for making the move to quit. You'll never know... there might just be another PhD round the corner that might be just be your cuppa tea. Stay strong and thank you for sharing your experience with us. Keep us posted on your future endeavours.
(up)

J

Jd - i wish you the best. i think quiting is a good decision. had i known that my supervisor relationship would have deteriortated to this point after three years, i would have quit a long time ago and found another institution. in my case, am interested in my project, but my supervisor has no clue about what am trying to do. as a result we have been going round in circles. like hairui - am trying to change the focus of my thesis from my supervisors interests to my own interests at writing up stage. as a result i have to look for a new supervisor.
re - confidentiality - that is overrated. my director of studies discussed my situation with my supervisors, the fact that I had decided to change supervisors, which was not very helpful. at this point am thinking of transfering to another university should i have to stay with my supervisor. it will cost me, but i need peace of mind to get my PhD. you don't need to go through all this. i have seen happy phd students with supportive supervisors. you can get yourself such a supervisor. do what you think is right. and don't grieve for too long. this is life. these things happen. as long as you get a PhD in the end... it does not matter the route you took, if the PhD is what you wanted. all the best.