Lecturer job application: WIP journal articles - mention ?

C

Hello all.

I'm completing a job application for a lecturer post, my first, and wondered about typical form.

Am I right in thinking that publications, conferences are one of the big plus points for any candidate ? Given dreaded RAE ratings etc.

If this is the case, then do you note work in progress? In what form ? Title, summary, maybe target journal, expected submission date ?

Any other advice on application forms would be gratefully received. What gets you through the door with botty on hot seat ? What features have the best applications got ?

I think the above could be summed up with "HELP" :-)

Hope you can all keep warm today. Regards, Chuff

J

Hi Chuff

I would include all conference presentations you have done and any papers that at are in preparation - for me that includes those where I have done a fair amount of actual work (collected and analysed the data, got a draft that is fit to show someone else) - I don't put a target date as for me they are usually imminent (and may well have been submitted prior to the interview); I don't include the vague ideas of "I really ought to write a paper on x".  If you have a target journal in mind - mention it but be realistic - don't just put down the leading journals in your field.

Good Luck

C

Thanks JC.

Appreciate your advice. I have taken very much this stance, I haven't noted target journal except where one is for a special issue.

Thanks again, Chuff

B

I was strongly advised to clearly separate published material, items under review, conference papers and work in preparation in a c.v.. Otherwise it can just look like padding. If separated out, it shows that you understand the difference and can give a hint to your ongoing research agenda, which is helpful.

C

Thanks Bewildered, I have very clearly separated them under working papers and published.

Chuff