Lecturing jobs

M

Hi, I am currently doing a PhD with a molecular biology/genetics basis. When I finish, I really want to work in a university and eventually be a lecturer. The PhD I'm doing is in Rothamsted Research Institute, not a university. Will this severely affect my chances of ultimately becoming a lecturer in a university? Here in Rothamsted it is kind of like doing an office job, good applied science, not academic in the traditional sense.

C

I don't think it will make a difference - you will be judged on your research and also of course it will depend what is around at the time. It is going to a tough market for us all with all the job cuts that are looming. Rothamsted is a  really respected research establishment so this will help you but maybe you can also look at whether there are opportunities for you to do a small amount of teaching at Rothamsted or other universities nearby (if Rothamsted would support this). I teach on a distance learning course and have done odd slots at another University - I hope all this may help me in the longer term.

Not to divert from Mark's posting but hopefully to add to it I would be really interested to hear what others are doing to increase their job prospects. Now my uni offers new PhD students the chance to take a Uni teach qualification (a postgraduate certificate)- this wasn't available when I started and I wondered if I should try and do this. Has anyone else out there done this and is it useful?

Cate

N

I'm a GTA, so I get to teach during my PhD, and am also enrolled in a PG Cert HE, so hopefully when I finish my PhD I will also have my HE teaching qualification.

M

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I think when it comes to it (I still have almost 4 years left) I will just have to go with whatever is available, which could well be something in a university.