Length of a chapter

H

Quote From sneaks:

I've not written my abstract yet, but it will be under an A4 page, 1.5 spaced.

My word count (at the moment) per chapter is (ish)

Intro - 1,850
Lit review - 13,450
Method - 8,500
Study 1 - 13,210
Study 2 - 9,140
Study 3 - 11,750
Discussion - about 3,000 and counting - I reckon it will be about 6,000 though.

Thank you sneaks, that really helps. For some reason I remember someone saying that Lit review should be about 20,000 words? I suppose if minimum is 80,000 then maybe that makes sense?

H

How do you differentiate between introduction and literature review? Surely there must be some overlap?

D

Thanks Bil and Sneaks. That's good to know.

Quote From chococake:

How do you differentiate between introduction and literature review? Surely there must be some overlap?

I'm looking at a problem specific to the sample I use (for example - people who own pet ducks) and so my intro is stuff from national statistics about e.g. how many ducks people tend to own and about how much it costs to feed ducks - leading into why I'm looking at that sample and the specific problem to do with that sample (e.g. duck food has gone up in price). My lit review is then about the academic research been done on e.g. duck keeping. My method is then looking at how people have approached researching duck-owning.

(its not on ducks btw :p )

H

Quote From sneaks:

Quote From chococake:

I'm looking at a problem specific to the sample I use (for example - people who own pet ducks) and so my intro is stuff from national statistics about e.g. how many ducks people tend to own and about how much it costs to feed ducks - leading into why I'm looking at that sample and the specific problem to do with that sample (e.g. duck food has gone up in price). My lit review is then about the academic research been done on e.g. duck keeping. My method is then looking at how people have approached researching duck-owning.

(its not on ducks btw :p )

Lovely anology, that explained it very well. Many thanks!

A

======= Date Modified 28 Jul 2011 16:51:44 =======

Quote From sneaks:

[(its not on ducks btw :p )

I thought your PhD was a comparative analysis of dog barking and artic penguins ;-)

Quote From ady:

======= Date Modified 28 Jul 2011 16:51:44 =======
Quote From sneaks:

[(its not on ducks btw :p )

I thought your PhD was a comparative analysis of dog barking and artic penguins ;-)

and ducks - its comparing the amount of food ducks eat vs the amount of penguins polar bears eat and how many dogs bark about it all :p

D

One thing about sneaks, she never 'ducks' the questions! :p