Less than 2 months to go!!

P

Hey all, I can't believe its the 30th of July!! I have officially less than 2 months to go and I'm really starting to worry :(

I have written most of my thesis now, just need to finalise the discussion chapter and write the final chapter of conclusions and implications etc etc. I also need to update and restructure parts of my literature review chapters and cut the content down to 85,000 (max)- I've exceeded the word limit by around 20,000.

Anyway, I'm starting to panic and I'm now wondering if I can do this!! I can't turn to my supervisors as I know they will make me worry even further! My supervisors are filled with negativity and are making me question whether I can do this which is not helping things at all ie- they believe that I'll receive a pass with major corrections (which feels like preparing me for the worst/poorer outcome). It feels like I'm the only one who knows I can do this (as well as my close friends and significant other).

The temptation just to say 'I QUIT' is a attractive option!

The only thing that's keeping me going at the moment is that my work is completely new and from positive feedback I've received from relevant academics who have more expert knowledge of my subject area than my supervisors. I know from updating my literature reviews that my PhD definitely fills in the gap of my particular field and having located my external examiner, I've actually conducted research that my external examiner has explicitly stated needs to be researched. He also is currently advertising for PhD students to study the exactly same field of my PhD topic. I also have a stubborn case of resilience and determination to keep going! (ie this PhD will be my fifth degree).

If anyone has any words of encouragement, I would be very grateful!

The fact that this time in 2 months I'll be submitting has terrified me! I have no idea how I'm going to get through the next two months.

A

I'm submitting 15th September, so I know how you feel! I've no idea if I am definitely going to do it, honestly, there is still so much left to do. But all we can do is plod on and give it our best shot! Sounds like you are in a good situation regarding your research topic and examiner, so I wouldn't worry too much. I'm getting more and more nervous about mine now tho as I type so I'll stop there before I freak out!
Good luck!

N

It's amazing what can and does get done in the last couple of months - I think the excitement and anticipation gives us that little extra 'push'.

Can't your supervisors be a bit more encouraging, and tell you /exactly/ what they think is needed to get you through with minor corrections?!
(I think they've forgotten what it's like to be in this position)

Sounds like you're in a good position re. examiner -if they're positive about your topic before they even read your thesis, this surely can't do you any harm!

It also sounds like you may be able to get some teaching / collaborative work when you've finished??

Just keep at it, and good luck!

P

Thanks for the responses.

I know that the next few months will probably be the most stressful few months ever, but I'll keep at it and keep trying.

My supervisors are not even considering that I'll get through with minor corrections, which is making things worse. I just have 'major corrections, major corrections' running through my head :(- which is affecting my motivation levels! I know at the moment, it probably is, but I still have time to shift the balance into minor corrections. Their definition of major corrections is anything from restructuring and rewording paragraphs, whereas their definition of minor corrections is very few typos and very small changes. They have however provided me with loads of recommendations on how to improve my thesis, but their very clear that my thesis will remain within major corrections :( (rather than minor corrections) mainly because of the subject area (social science/vulnerable adults in care settings).

I just want to pass at the end of the day, regardless of whether its major or minor corrections, but I'm glad they think my thesis is worthy of a PhD rather than an MPhil or an outright fail and I've received loads of positive feedback from academics and governmental organisations (who know more about my subject area than my supervisors).

I made it through the upgrade process (much to the astonishment of my supervisors!) so it feels like I'm going through the whole process again! :( so their probably just overly critical or just think that I'm a rubbish PhD student! ( probably a combination of the two!).

I'll keep plodding on! :$ (and aiming for minor rather than major corrections, by continuing to meet their recommendations for improvement and following my external examiners work).