life after PhD

H

PGFT have removed the posts from early this morning and any related to them.

mynia asked me if my phd was science-based - the answer was yes!

M

and a whole thread was deleted a couple of weeks ago. It had over 90 entries! can't remember the topic at this stage now but I got really frustrated because I poste a long comment and then it just disappeared. I don't get it.

T

I know exactly what I am doing - at least for two years I have to go back to my teaching job as my employer is paying for my PhD with this as the condition. If I don't I have to pay all the money back

J

This thread made me think a bit... and so I did some research... and I have found where I want to work when I have finished! I have researched some job vacancies they have at the mo, and the kind of people they have on their staff and there is no reason why I shouldn't go for it! I am very excited and reassured about this. Not a bad wage either...

J

I've been thinking about this, as I'm more than half-way now and the first half passed so quickly.

My approach:
1) Start writing proposals NOW: try to get a postdoc out of one of my ideas
2) Cultivate links with other labs/researchers: you never know where a vacancy may come up
3) Keep ear to ground re: internal vacancies. I like where I am now and unadventerous as it is, I would like to stay if possibe.

I recently began worrying about boring stuff like pensions, though: so much work these days is short-term. Am I going to be living in poverty as a pensioner cos I didn't make enough contributions?