Life after Thesis submission/postdoc life

S

Hello all,

After four years of hard work, I finally submitted my thesis. OK I won't say that I was sad after submitting because it was the nicest moment in my last four years.
Any way, after one month, am still waiting for my viva, and I started to think a lot as you can imagine.

OK to cut it short, I feel lost and I would really appreciate any advices on the post doctoral life, is there any one out there got one? please help :$

I do find the following subjects confusing:
first and sorry if it sounds stupid, what are the responsibilities of a postdocs?
2-I have difficulties in critical analysis of papers (Biomedical sciences), do you have any advices on how to master that?

3-Any tips on the VIVA day?

4-Job hunting tips, I read the graduk (now vitae) website and it is very helpful, but am just guessing real life is not always ruled by what is in books.

5-Any tips how to be a successful postdoc? what are the typical obstacles
? I don't know any postdocs, so I'm really scared if it is like the PhD, cause mine was difficult and although I think you can only learn by doing but, some tips and ideas might help as well. Any good book on the life of postdocs?

I found a link in science magazine about cover letters for postdocs very funny and interesting, it helped me a lot.

http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/career_magazine/previous_issues/articles/2002_09_20/noDOI.12222734545244148861

Looking forward to hear from you ,-)