Light bulb moment 2 weeks before viva- problematic?

P

======= Date Modified 26 May 2011 12:33:36 =======
Hello!

In preparing for this viva, I've just experienced a 'light bulb' moment on how I could really improve my lengthy thesis, give it a real back bone and cut out some of the extra detail in my literature review chapters. I completely agree with my sups comments that due to it's length, in some parts, the thesis is far too detailed which ends up losing the reader (despite my attempts to link everything back to research aims).

Given that I have 2 weeks until my viva, do you think it's too close to the viva to start thinking about integrating this potential change?

I think this change in emphasis really helps nail the underlying theme and 'thread' within my thesis. I've mentioned it within my submitted thesis, but I think it makes sense to place a greater emphasis for the resubmitted draft (for a PhD hopefully).

What do you think? I'm thinking this would be a good way of highlighting a technique I could use to improve my thesis and reduce my thesis considerably. Perhaps an example of 'acknowledged limitations and plans for resubmission'. I'm thinking of ways that could summarise my thesis in a few sentences and I think this potential change will really help with clarifying some of my thesis arguments.

P

On second thoughts- I think it's probably to late in the day to integrate this.....;-)

May keep it in mind though if required!

A

Quote From Pineapple29:

On second thoughts- I think it's probably to late in the day to integrate this.....;-)

May keep it in mind though if required!

I think I would agree with your second post! However, it is good to have marshalled your thoughts together so as to be able to agree/argue with the viva panel as to how you could improve your thesis. However, I would wait 'til to hear what they say in the actual viva and concentrate most of your prep on what's inside the covers of the thesis.

D

Hi Pineapple, I completely agree that you should focus on the content of your thesis for your viva prep. However, I think it wise to make notes on how you could change the thesis so that if this comes up you can discuss this option. I am so glad to read such a positive post which i hope will help you to succeed in your viva (up)