Limited oppurtunities for overseas students

B

======= Date Modified 16 29 2009 21:29:40 =======
Hi

I have finished my MASTERS IN MOLECULAR BIOLOGY now looking for funded project in universities. I see that there are very limited oppurtunities..for overseas if they are also, very competitive... My queries are...

In research admission(PhD)

1)Do they see the publications?
2)Does the research experience count?

Can any one suggest the universities in UK which can provide funding for an overseas student related to research in Molecular biology?..

T

Surely there are plenty of opportunities for overseas students in the U.K.?? I'm in a molecular biology related discipline and almost half the Ph.D. students I meet are not U.K. residents and funded through the university system! I think a quick look at findaphd.com will show you that there are literally hundreds of Ph.D. programmes with overseas funding. Failing that, you could do a Ph.D. in your home country.

In reply to your questions.
1) If you’ve already got a publication(s) supervisors will be very pleased to see it/them.
2) Yes, research experience obviously counts.

B

Many thanks for your response.

Yes thats true that I have seen some funded projects for overseas in this site. But I dont know how to follow up..Is that to send an application enquiry ? Or send our research proposal, CV and CL ? or apply online ?

Previously though I have applied by online for 2-3 applications, I dint get any response.......so, I thought that there may be some other..way in approach....

If possible, can you guide in this aspect?

M

Check out the British Council website, they sometimes have some really good sources of funding listed.

Publications and research experience will certainly help, but more important good grades in your degrees, good references and a great research proposal (and informal communication with prospective supervisors).