List of typos

B

Ah right. Yes I was a bit muddled by the no revisions thing, thinking that meant no corrections at all ;-) I don't think my convenor checked my corrected thesis either, though I included a PDF of the changed pages with all the changes highlighted in red. He just emailed me back quickly to say send in the hard bound theses, and he passed those on fast to the university authorities. It really is a formality at this stage, but typo corrections should be done so your thesis looks good in posterity to anyone reading it in future 8-)

B

Quote From pamw:

I once applied for a job in which I had stated in my application that I had organised 'pubic meetings'!

Hahahahaha... that's funny. I'm not surprised they didn't notice though; even with the inverted commas, when I first read it, I asked myself 'what's so wrong with public meetings'!

R

Good one, Pamw,

I overlooked that at first as well, and then noticed the missing "l". What a difference does it make! Very funny!:-)

A

Ok, so my viva is on Thursday - ARGHHHH!!

due to work commitments, I am only just getting through the thesis now, and as I go through each chapter i'm looking for any typos/ corrections and areas for further understanding etc that I can research abit more over next few days.

I'm passed half way in thesis and have 27 so far, i'm kicking myself over majority of them though as I changed order of some sections in Intro, but then didn't find ALL of the references to them throughout rest of chapters, so I have things like 'as discussed in Section 1.4.6' when it should be 1.5.6 (I have 6 of these already :( ). I could kick myself, I thought I had checked for these, but clearly missed a load, and dreading how many more I have to find!
The rest is mainly just odd commas that are missing from an in text reference, comma use, lack of apostrophe. Not found any spelling mistakes which is good :)

I'm just really worried about the mis referenced sections, as this is something that really should not have happened! Do you think they would make a deal of this? I hope it doesn't affect how they feel about quality of what I have done!

Anyway, only 4 days left to prepare, 1 of which i'm working, so better just get on with it, there is nothing I can do now!

AL

A

Good luck for your viva prep Alpacalover, and try not to get too stressed out with your typos, I think it's inevitable that somethings will get through. Plus you were really massively pushed for time at the end so hopefully your examiners will appreciate that. At this stage, just focus on the content and your argument and proving to your examiners why your typos don't matter cos you are actually a proper scientist with a good thesis!

A

Thanks AQ, you're right of course, its content that matters, but sup used to always go on about making sure it looked good, cos if examiners see that you've taken care over presentation and style then generally you will have for content too! But it's just afew errors at end of day - i'm just a perfectionist!

I've just finished chapter 3, and didn't find any where near as many errors in that chapter, which is the biggest one, so that's good!

I'm off to chill out before bed and a very busy day tomorrow, need to finish thesis and get some practice in for talk! Also still got broad questions to have answers for and wee summary of main points of each chapter (?)! oh, and afew papers to read!!!! ARGHHHHH!!!!

most importantly though, i still need to find a nice cardigan or shawl or something for my outfit - it's cold up North! And my beautiful new shoes need breaking in around the house :p

Hope you're doing ok? x

R

Hi AL,

good luck with your viva on Thursday.

I think the lists of typos / minor errors helps, as it shows that you are aware of them. I think it would be a lot worse if at the viva the examiners would mentioned the minor mistakes, and you would not have clue about them. It more or less puts you one step ahead in the game.

I think as important, if not more, is your knowledge of the subject and having a clear head on the day. The latter you probably only achieve by trying to relax now (easier said than done), making in sure you arrive on time for the viva, that you know where the venue is, making sure that you are comfortable with the clothes you wear etc.

Again good luck!