Living in Manchester and doing my Phd in Nottingham...is that realistic?

I commute about 2 1/2 hours each way, door to door. I've found it ok, apart from when I have to get in at 9am, I have to then leave by 6am which I hate. Luckily I have a cousin I stay with occassionally if I need to go in that early, so I just go up the night before. THere are two things I do have trouble with. THe first is the cost, a few visits into uni a month can cost hundreds in train tickets :-s . Secondly, you sometimes get the feeling that others think you are lazy cos you are not always in i.e. when you plan your week around coming in on Monday, then they have an ad hoc 20min meeting on weds and complain (not to your face) that you weren't in. My supervisor is fine with me not coming in as much, but other department members find it difficult to see when you are doing work. I find that making yourself very visible is important. e.g. when you are in, go to see everyone, go in on the days you know they will be there etc. Also remember not to go on facebook at home cos they will know !! ;-)

N

Hi all and thank you very much for your replies and your tips!!! I'll try it and see if and how it works; However, the cost of trains and accommodation for a few days every month is something that I have to take into serious consideration...

P

Just seen this thread and wanted to add my experiences. I am at Manchester but have just moved to Bristol. My partner has children so him moving up to Manchester was not an option. I drive up early Tuesday and come back late on Thursday. I had intended to take the train sometimes but I just have too much to carry that I can't really do this. The thing I find is that I get very tired so spend quite a bit of time when I get up to Manchester (I stay with my Dad) sleeping and the same when I get back to Bristol.
I have chosen to teach otherwise I would only have to travel up every now and then to see my supervisor.
One thing I would say is that get SCONUL access to your nearest library. They will be able to give you details at Nottingham then you can have reciprocal arrangements at Manchester and Manchester Met, which may help if you don't want to go in just to get books or look at journals.
The alternative for me would have been staying in Manchester where I own a house (now rented out) and travelling down to Bristol at weekends but as it would involve so much travelling anyway it made sense to base myself in Bristol with my partner and travel up for work. During the holidays there is less requirement to be on campus so things will probably be easier some of the time.
It is hard work but it can be done so Good Luck!

J

hi. im 42 and i start in january. i have about about 2and a half hour commute each way. i will be going in about 4times a week. i feel i have to try and make it in. if i stay at home i will end up doing domestic chores, i have 2 messy teenagers. so i will put my PhD first and just let the house stay messy..lol.