Living with a non student and council tax etc

K

Hello, I plan to go to York to do a masters this year. I'd like to move there around July - August time. I want to live with my boyfriend who won't be a student and we want to share a house with other people, preferably other students.
Does anybody know how it works with council tax? I want to share a room with my boyfriend. If he is the only non student in the house would he have to pay council tax for the whole house on his own?
Also, as I would want to move there about 2-3 months before I become a student, how would that work out with council tax?
Thanks for any tips!

S

Hi
Yes he would have to pay council tax for the whole place on his own, but he would get a 25% reduction. You would be better off getting a smaller place in a lower tax band than sharing with other students.
Secondly when you arrive at your new home the local council will send a council tax bill for the rest of the financial year (to beginning April). Unless you can prove you are a student (which you can't as you won't be yet) there won't be a reduction in the bill. Once you register at your new Uni you can get a COuncil Tax exemption certificate from the Uni, and if you send this off asap to the council they will send you a new bill with lower payments for your boyfriend (25% reduction), however this will only apply for the time you are a registered student not before of after.