Looking for a translator

P

Basically I have research in France at the archives of the ministry of foreign affairs. My french is quite limited and I am in a limbo because these archives constitute a main part of my research. Do you have any idea of any companies that outsource translators for a few weeks with an economic price? Or do you know much about the book scanner and if such items are allowed in archives?

B

given their rules on photocopies are so strict, I can't see them allowing a scanner. Depending on what documents you need to consult, you might be able to get copies of microfilms - I think they've done quite a lot of the important bound volumes but I don't know what the price is like. Translators are very expensive (I've charged 0.1€ a word and I'm no professional) so I think it would be cheaper and more feasible to pay for crash courses in reading French to improve your own French! Surely you're going to have to read secondary sources in French as well so wouldn't it be worth the time investing in language learning?

R

Hi Phdgirl,

see your problem. I think as well, like bewildered is saying, that official translators are very expensive.

I have learned to read German (I am Dutch)quite well, and I think if you improve your French, you will get the hang of it quite quickly.

More difficult, I think is writing in German / for you French. How were you thinking about going to do that? Are there any rules regarding using translators? I mean does it not have to be you own work?

P

I did a course in academic French designed for people with OK French who needed to consult journals, papers, documents etc in French. You should check out your language dept if you have one or your faculty's training programme. Bonne Chance!

B

Thinking about this, I remember a friend doing a three week crash course with alliance francaise. They will probably be the best people to contact to ask whether anywhere can teach you the sort of french reading knowledge you need quickly. I know loads of Canadian and US universities offer these courses for people who need to fulfil a language requirement for their PhD but I don't know whether you could pay to take just that course.

P

Thanks everyone.

Well, both ways I have been taking French courses and will continue to do so until I go to France. However, I still feel that because the documents I will be consulting belong to the 1920s/30s and are official documents, the French used is going to be quite difficult for me alone. I was thinking of asking my mom, who is french educated, to come along with me but am not sure how long she can stay out there with me.

With regards to translation done by others and whether it's allowed or moral, yet it is. But on the other hand you are taking a risk with regards to the truthfulness or accuracy of the translation as you are placing faith in the translator. Moreover, my friend is disabled and has no eyesight and he has a personal assistant for the archives he will be consulting.