Looking for PhD in USA or Malaysia

B

I think people bash him/her for the quite frankly ridiculous statements Giri makes (e.g. UK PhDs are rubbish etc).

The reason why people generally jump on those that have a poor command of English, has little to do with colonial arrogance, but reflects the view that anyone seeking a postgraduate qualification (from the UK/US) should be able to articulate themselves at a postgraduate level.

If you cannot do this, you should not be anywhere near a PhD. The fact that such people slip through (unis want fees basically) reflects badly on the rest of us.

R

Jouri,
I still fail to see the connection between colonial arrogance and criticising giri's bad english? I don’t think you have much of a sound argument there.

I am from a former British colony so maybe I am guilty of colonist arrogance rather than colonial arrogance

it just seems to be the case that any legitimate argument made against giri is derogatory to her, according to you

J

Hold on people; is this post not about zcfsy07's request re: the whats and hows around the best ways of going about doing a PHD programme within the USA or Malaysia?

It seems to me that the moment we read certain people's comments, we loose the essence of the topic; one person, and many jump onto the band wagon. Can we remain focused and help each other (wherever possible)

D

I'm confused...poor PhD's, colonial arrogance, is someone forcing these people to come to the UK?! I was under the impression that people studied here by choice. Therefore if you don't like it, and you feel that the PhD system is substandard in some way then go elsewhere.