Looking to do a PhD need advice and help to begin the process

J

Hey all!

Thank for taking the time out to read my thread. I obtained my Masters in International Public Health late last year and I have been planning to do a PhD now for quite some time. I am currently in Australia but am interested in pursuing a doctorate in the UK. I have so far identified an area of research I am interested in and specific supervisors. The question is what do I do now? I emailed the universities' post-doc representatives and they've all said I should send a personal email to the prospective supervisors first. What do I say in the email? Do I need to write a cover letter? Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

Jon

D

Make sure to read some of the supervisors work and papers before contacting them and perhaps try to identify where they are taking their research. From that you could put forward some suggestions but I think it's important to stress and demonstrate how much you like their work. Basically play to their ego.

Good luck!

C

Hi all,
I also have the same question. Actually, I want to approach one or two of the professors who have the same area I am willing to study but the question is: why do I have to do so? What do I tell them? Do I tell them that I applied to the university and see if they can be my supervisors. What kind of things do prospective phd students say to the supervisors? Please give us your insights.
Thanks,