Lost motivation - if found please return...

K

I'm seriously struggling with PhD motivation. Any tips on how to get back into writing when it's the last thing you want to be doing??? I've had a break over the past couple of weeks as I was completely exhausted. Now it's time to get re-started and I just can't summons the motivation. What works for you??

U

What worked for me...?

For me it was the thought that the more work I did now, the less I had to do until it was all over.

Also I tried working on bits that were more interesting or fun when running out of motivation.

Also I found I was more motivated at night - in fact most of my thesis was written between 11pm and 6am

K

Thanks UFO! I'm hoping to get the 'least interesting' chapter written this week and then hopefully I'll be more motivated for the more interesting chapters (?). Write-up really is some kind of prolonged tortorous endurance test!!

V

Breaking the work in small chunks and setting yourself a goal for a day to do at least one small chunk of writing usually works for me. Maybe could for you as well? Also thinking about all nice things you will do after your finish your PhD:)

C

Setting a deadline, again the idea of getting it finished. I set the end of May after 6 months of writing and getting nowhere (and want an examiner who's having a baby soon).
I've worked all bank holiday weekend and evenings that's not me (no PhD motivation)

I've tried leaving gaps and moving onto other bits, or just writing what I want to say in very bad English so I can leave it, and write up properly later.

Planning a holiday or treat at the end of it?

Talking to a sympathetic lecturer for a pep talk.

J

me too. i just took last week off, and i've decided to get on with writing - though its not easy.

i thought of how good it felt when my last chapter came together and how i got myself to write up and did the same.

for me, that was setting small targets, for instance - read and summarise a paper a day. when the reading is done - start writing - a section a day. that way each day i get closer to handing in my next chapter and finishing.

So, i've decided to read ahead for my next supervisor meeting hopefully this week and start writing bits of my next chapter. its actually nice to work without being under pressure.. and am beginning to enjoy it. difficult to resist the telly though when there is no looming deadline. thank God for the weather! less temptations.

C

I handed drafts into people too, like 1st draft to supervisor after getting at least 1 person to read it first. Getting something in helps, the first draft will probably be rubbish, but if you get feedback you can work through what are probably the most important issues rather than the niggly ones that slow you down and don't help I've started thinking- well is it important or not, so that I don't waste time on small unimportant things.
Saying all that my chapter 4 is a knightmare, the shortest results chapter, but I can't get into it and work slowly/get distracted easily.
I've also learnt that if you read what you've written and get bored and struggle to keep the point of it all, it could be the way you've structured it, and that it's just not reader friendly.

K

Many thanks for all the tips everyone! Have done a few hours solid work today - doesn't sound like much but given the little I've been able to accomplish recently, it's a start and I'll be powering on into the evening. I'll keep cracking on with small goals and lots of treats as bribery! Thanks again! Good to know that I'm not on my own with this problem ;)