Lost, really don't know what to do and want to quit

L

Thanks Lughna, Pjlu, Platypus and Potatoes...

Quote From Platypus:

I have a question, you mentioned a final examination? Where are you studying? I will start my PhD in the UK later this year and as I understood it, after the first introductory year one needs to write some sort of application (viva?) and then you do research for three years after which you write up. I have heard that often in the UK people stay on after defending to write a/some paper(s) without getting paid. Can anyone tell me if this is true and how people can afford do live without income for a few months?

I'm not in the UK so my system is quite different. After having viva (after about 3 years of research), we need to make corrections within one to two months and we need to present the corrections in the final examination. For local students, in addition to that, they need to present their thesis in English if they have done their viva in the local language. In certain departments, students also need to study a journal paper by other authors, present that paper and their ability to understand journal papers will be tested during Q&A session (in the final examination). In my place, we need to submit thesis 3 months before the end of the three years so we still get scholarship until the final result is released. However, in my case, I extend, therefore I won't be getting scholarship for the last 6 months. I'm not sure how the system works in your place.

A

======= Date Modified 14 Feb 2012 14:42:38 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
--deleted advertising--