LRI phd's - Cancer Research - Advice

S

Hi. I am thinking of applying for the phd programme at the London Research Institute with Cancer Research UK. Was just wondering if anyone else is currently doing a phd there or has applied. I've been told that 600 people applied last year for 25 places which is rather scary.
Any advice regarding applications or interviews or phd life at LRI would be apprciated.
Thanks

P

hi,
i went for an interview there and it was quite informal, i was a bit put off by the stipend as there was no way of affording to live in london on what they were offering. They were really friendly and asked lots of questions about my research experience etc. I dont know if i would have got it though as i accepted another place the day after interview.

S

Thanks! I dont suppose you remember any of the questions they asked do you??

P

they asked in depth about my dissertation, quizzed me on what i had written in the application (to make sure i was not making it up i guess!!) and also about the project in quite a bit of detail good job i had done some backgroud reading. then just the usual what motivates you to do this etc etc.