MA in American Studies: UEA or B'ham

P

Hi everyone,

I am a Belgian student who would like to study a MA American Studies in the UK. I applied for the University of East-Anglia, University of Birmingham and University of Leicester.All three have offered me a place, so now I'm in serious doubt about which offer to accept.

The overwhelming amount of rankings and university guides is really confusing to me

Initially, Birmingham was my first choice, since it's located in a big city and seems to have the best overall reputation.The downside is that it seems rather expensive...

UEA is offering me two scholarships, worth 3750£, which is a huge draw for me. But UEA seems like the less reputed university and is located in 'the middle of nowhere', next to a smaller city (I love big cities ) However, it has a good reputation when it comes to American Studies, it looks like a nice university and most people on this forum seem quite positive about UEA.

So, I just would like to hear what you guys would do if you were in my place...

A

I did my Masters at Birmingham - a long time ago.  When I went there it was great.

I can not comment about the other two Universities because I have no experience of them.

If you need to earn money working part time while studying, a big city like Birmingham offers more opportunities.

However, if you would be much better off financially (funded) in one University than the others, that is something you really need to bear in mind.  It's easier to get a good result in your Masters Degree if you are not always worrying about money.

Angelette 8-)

M

I did my first degree at UEA. While I can't comment on the course itself (I didn't do American studies - but I think it's has a very good reputation), I loved my time at UEA and really enjoyed living in/near Norwich. It's a relatively small but friendly city and I remember it as being quite 'studenty' with lots of arty things, gigs etc going on. I can't comment on Leicester or Birmingham.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

M

Hello,

I am an American looking to do my MA in the UK. I share the same concern as you.

I was accepted to UEA, University of Bath, and Newcastle. I narrowed it down between University of East Anglia and University of Bath. I would like to go to UEA since their International Development Department is in the top 3. But I have been turned off by them as of late. When I ask questions, its like pulling teeth and the questions never really get answered. Its like I am speaking a different language (one they don't understand). I have heard that the British are rude and have a superior attitude. However, as an international student who is going to be paying cash ($25K to be exact) I should be entitled to ask questions and have them answered. If this is the way they are treating me now, how will they treat me when I am there?

Moral of the story: Go where you feel comfortable. Rankings/reputations are good but go where you feel you can be the most successful. The objective is to finish your degree in the end.

Good luck.

C

Sorry for this late reply as I only just signed-up to the forum.

I'll taking my MA in American History at UEA from the autumn. It was an easy decision for me as, not only does the uni have a great reputation in taught AMS courses, it also has a highly regarded faculty and excellent research reputation. I've been communicating with AMS faculty and support staff since last summer and all have been polite and helpful. I've also visited the campus several times and met faculty plus existing students (undergrads and postgrads). The students are unanimous in their praise of the uni generally, and the school in particular. I did much research on locations for my MA - including overseas, UCL and ISA - but UEA consistently drew me as no other institution could match the enthusiasm of its students. Being offered scholarships was the icing on the cake for me.

I should mention that I'm a UK citizen but understand that international students make up a large %age of UEA postgrads. As to location.... no question that Birmingham is a much bigger metropolis but Norwich is a lovely city with great student night life, shops, close to the coast, etc. The uni is also much closer to its city centre than Birmingham Uni. I know many UEA students like it so much that they remain in Norwich after graduation - and some intend to go on to postgrad just to remain at the uni for another year (a story I heard several times from the current undergrads). Rail/coach connections to London and Stansted are also excellent.

I can't comment on any other faculty/school at UEA but the student experience seems universally good from my research. I've visited Birmingham Uni but found its location daunting (traffic is a nightmare for miles in every direction) and its faculty friendly but impersonal. However, it's all about what suits you best as an individual but I doubt UEA would be considered second best by any of its students past/present.