MA mark

N

Is it worth appealing the following decision. I have just finished an MA in theology? I got the following marks.

Dissertation 78%
Unit 1 64%
Unit 2 67%
Unit 3 70%
Unit 4 71%

I have been awarded a merit for the MA. But my average mark is 70%. Is it worth appealing this decision?
Would it make any difference to funding chances with formal mark of distinction? This just feels wrong. I did the MA over 2 days a week, while working the other 3 days. According to the college rules this is a merit. I just think this is ludicrous.

D

What are the Uni rules regarding getting a distinction? Until we know exactly what they state we can't advise as each uni will have its own criteria.

J

I agree with what DanB said. We need to know what the university regulations are, what mark is a distinction, things such as units equally weighted, how is the dissertation weighted. I'm not sure on what gounds you think you can appeal but most universities have specific grounds for appeal and anything outside these (including academic judgement) will be rejected.

Harsh though it may seem the fact that you worked while studying is irrelevant - generally regulations only take into account actual performance (I submitted my MA dissertation three weeks before giving birth (done at night school while working very full time in the city) and apart from allowing me to take snacks into the three hour final exam to maintain my blood sugar there were no concessions).

C

======= Date Modified 07 Nov 2010 18:53:47 =======
At my uni I believe I'd need to get at least 70% for my dissertation and 70% average for my courses to get a distinction for my MSc, getting a 70% average overall but less than 70% for courses wouldn't count even with a really high dissertation mark.

Obviously your uni may differ, but I found the exact criteria in the lengthy academic regulations for the course so hopefully you should be able to find out for sure whether this is the normal practice.

EDIT: @Jepsonclough That is incredible. I am going to think of you every time my course seems tough.

D

That was the same for my MSc - 70% each in taught and dissertation - and that tends to be fairly standard most places BUT it can differ.

J

======= Date Modified 07 Nov 2010 19:35:35 =======

Quote From csmouse:

EDIT: @Jepsonclough That is incredible. I am going to think of you every time my course seems tough.

When the results arrived my husband brought the post up to me - I was in bed feeding the baby (who has just started his first year of high school this September) and because I thought it was a letter about overdue library books/fines I just told him to open it. I was so excited that I got a distinction that I nearly dropped the baby! Had it not been for the baby I would have started my PhD - it took me another Master's (in 2004/5) and 11 years until I started. Part time and family commitmets do make you focus.

A

Hi Nir,

I'm getting bad flashbacks reading your thread: I contested my MA final score, after gaining a Distinction for my thesis (83%) but an overall average of 79.04%, with the threshold requirement for Distinction of 80%. The university were really unwilling to handle the conversation, and it ended up ruining my graduation day, as the registrar hadn't issued the final decision, and I only discovered this when I'd shaken hands, all gowned up, with my family watching, and I opened the envelope which contained (instead of my certificate), a letter saying that they couldn't confirm what I'd been awarded. Nightmare.
The good news is that I maintained a good relationship with my tutor (essential for references), and I went on to win a fully funded PhD. Take up the fight if you wish, but it will be a fight and may stand to lose more than you gain. Your transcript will always provide evidence of the strength of your grades.