made it at last

C

I'm 'de-lurking' as I have finally bagged a funded Phd place with the OU. The wheel has come full circle - they were the first place I considered when finishing my degree. I couldn't get in without an MRes so I applied to just about everywhere in a realistic radius from home (can't move, old married guy with kids), had rejections, interviews ranging from positive through bizarre to terrifying, days when I gave up and aplied to call centres for work before gambling on paying my way through an MRes. Finally this year a great interview back at the OU. They accepted me and put me in for ESRC funding in the competition and -oh joy - if the ESRC doesn't stump up I get a faculty scholarship.

The moral of this story is don't give up. I found getting interviews much easier with my degree completed and progress on a masters. The MRes allowed me to demonstrate a much greater understanding of research strategies and methods on applications and all that interview practice was invaluable. You can learn a lot from the ones that go badly - once you stop kicking the dog that is!

Now the fun begins...

T

Well done.. good luck with it

Great news. Good luck with the ESRC funding

J

happy for you