Major/Minor Corrections: Deadlines and Re-registering

T

======= Date Modified 27 35 2010 17:35:51 =======
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have an idea as to what kind of deadlines are given for minor and major corrections for theses after the viva? How long did your corrections actually take?

Also, I am currently unregistered since submitting. Did people have to re-register when they had major corrections and pay a fee?

Thanks in advance for any light you could shed,
T:-)

_____

PS: I am also interested in re-submission stories: how long this took, and whether you registered for another year, etc... Thanks!

B

I was given 1 month minor (typographical) corrections. That time included getting a new version of the thesis hard bound, and resubmitted to my viva convenor. That happened today, because my supervisor had been away for weeks, and my viva convenor was overseas!

At my university more major minor corrections (called minor revisions) are done in 2 months.

Beyond that it's resubmission.

I didn't have to pay any additional fee to re-register for the corrections. And I kept my email access, and library borrowing rights. I think my status is a bit up-in-the-air, but it didn't cost me.

B

Oh and my very minor corrections just took 1 very leisurely week to do. The delay after then was sorting out the binding, and waiting for my supervisor (to sign the dratted thesis), and convenor to come back from their Easter time away.

T

Thank you very much. Well done on finishing!

B

Thanks! Glad to help. Do you have a viva date yet? Good luck with that anyway.

S

The rules and regulations vary for EACH uni, and sometimes for each department so i would be dubious about taking advice from this forum (yes, i am aware of the irony of ADVISING you to do this...)

I've heard of some situations where minor = 3month deadline; major = 6 month deadline; resubmit = 1-3 years.  I know for a fact this is not the case at my uni.

B

It's certainly worth trying to find out the relevant rules for your uni/dept before your viva. I found this helpful for me, to know what options to expect. There were 7 possible viva outcomes at my uni, all specified precisely in terms of time-scales, corrections needed etc. I ended up passing with option 2 (option 1 being a perfect pass with no corrections) which I was really chuffed with.

D

Agree with Bilbo, it will differ by uni. I had minor corrections to do within 3 months, which took about 2 (due to Christmas and work and new job interviews).